FORUMS: list search recent posts

PMW-350 - Any Field Recording Deck using Tape?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
W. Lawrence Stevens
PMW-350 - Any Field Recording Deck using Tape?
on Jan 27, 2011 at 6:49:37 pm

We have been shooting the PMW-350 for a year and it's a great camera. Despite ZERO problems with the tapless media, my nutty partner still wants a simultaneous backup of what is being shot in the field on TAPE. Does Sony even make such a tape deck? I've looked online and anything that captures the full 1080x1920 @ 35mb/sec uses digital media.

(Yeah, I already now I need a different partner!)

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: PMW-350 - Any Field Recording Deck using Tape?
on Jan 27, 2011 at 6:55:27 pm

The only HD tape format that Sony supports is HDCAM and HDCAM-SR. The HD XDCAM Disc (Professional Media) is more trustworthy then either of these tape formats, although HDCAM-SR is a better format, being 10bit, although this is really overkill except for high end commercials or theatricals where extensive color correction (unusably because of shooting in S-Log Gamma) is required.

Panasonic still supports DVC-PRO100 tape with their 1400 VTR, although it's not really designed for portable production and will not accept true 24psf from a Sony camera, only 24/60 (I'm not sure what the 350 puts out), but again, you're not gaining anything in terms of robustness or quality.

JS

Return to posts index

W. Lawrence Stevens
on Jan 30, 2011 at 8:10:17 pm

John: thank you for this information. We just need a very basic 16.9 HD backup tape to come out of the camera from any of the outputs (SDI, HDMI, ilink.) As long as I don't have to dumb the camera down by selecting 1440x1080 SP mode, I don't care what the format of the tape is.

Any help in selecting a deck is appreciated.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 30, 2011 at 9:35:38 pm

[W. Lawrence Stevens] "We just need a very basic 16.9 HD backup tape to come out of the camera from any of the outputs (SDI, HDMI, ilink.) As long as I don't have to dumb the camera down by selecting 1440x1080 SP mode, "
The iLink (FW out) would let you get an HDV stream out, but I guess (no camera neither manual with me) that as, as you suspect, the price would be to set the camera in SQ.
You would end up with HDV on SxS card and on tape.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]