FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon consumer camera - Footage "warping"

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Tetamore
Canon consumer camera - Footage "warping"
on Jan 26, 2011 at 8:02:36 pm

I'm editing footage shot with a consumer Canon camera that records in the XDCam codec. When digitizing, the Log and Transfer was set to convert the footage to Apple Pro Res 422. Most of the footage is fine, but there are moments in playback - say 3 to 5 frames where a "warping" effect takes place. The frame actually stretches and expands and then settles.

Any suggestions? We have yet to check the original footage. Is this a conversion isssue?

The Visual Rabbi
TheVisualChurch.com
"Crafting Visual Messages to Engage and Persuade"

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Canon consumer camera - Footage "warping"
on Jan 26, 2011 at 8:19:55 pm

Hmm, I don't know of any Canon consumer cameras that use XDCAM. Their consumer cameras used AVCHD. The Canon XF series does so maybe that's what you're referring to.

If you're seeing CMOS rolling shutter you might try CoreMelt's Lock and Load X
http://www.coremelt.com/products/lock-and-load/lock-and-load.html.
Demo of rolling shutter reduction.
http://www.coremelt.com/products/videos/rolling-shutter-reduction-demo.html

They have a forum here at the COW if you try the demo and want to ask specific questions.

Return to posts index

Brian Tetamore
on Jan 26, 2011 at 8:40:13 pm

My bad. You are correct. I didn't have the camera to check. it likely was AVCHD. It's not the CMOS shutter, at least not from the examples on the web site you linked. It's very intermittent and resembles a 3D warping effect.

The Visual Rabbi
TheVisualChurch.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 26, 2011 at 9:17:58 pm

It's still likely rolling shutter. Depending on what was happening at the time it can exhibit itself as a partial frame white flash if it was a camera flash, a bending if the object or camera was moving in one direction, jello like wobble if something caused the camera to vibrate. The last is going to be the toughest to fix if you can do it at all.

In addition Lock and Load there's The Foundary's plugin
http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/rollingshutter/

Return to posts index

Brian Tetamore
on Jan 26, 2011 at 9:31:12 pm

It's similar to the jello effect you mentioned. The shooter is going to check the original footage in their camera tonight. That will tell us a lot.

Is this issue ever introduced in the log and transfer process?

The Visual Rabbi
TheVisualChurch.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 26, 2011 at 9:39:28 pm

The jello issue is almost always the result of vibrations through the tripod during shooting. Shooting dance on a wooden dance floor for example. Someone bumping the tripod with their foot periodically would be another.

The bending effect is even more pronounced with DSLR video, hence the proliferation of plugins which do a reasonable job of fixing it.

The jello effect is much harder to fix though since basically it's moving back and forth very quickly.

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Jan 27, 2011 at 2:54:42 pm

You also get the jello effect on the canon 5D MII and 7D cameras. The sensor doesn't have the stabilization built in to fix the shakes of a hand-held camera.

If this is an issue, always use a tripod and tell your shooter to keep his hand off the camera if possible. Use a remote control for zooming.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Brian Tetamore
on Jan 27, 2011 at 11:04:32 pm

Guys. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

First, you should know the anomaly is in the original footage, so we know it was introduced during the recording.

However, I've been shooting for 15 years and I can tell when a camera is bumped or shaken. The shooter had footage that was shot handheld and with sticks on a lock down with no wind, and yet the same "wobbling" effect can be seen.

Have you ever held out a good old fashion wood saw and shaken it? it will make a funny wobbling sound as the long blade seems to ripple like the surface of water from a rock being thrown into it. The abnormality is like that, only when you look at it frame by frame you can actually see the footage being distorted on all axis. It's as if you've added a 3D Perspective effect and set it to random keyframes. I've never seen anything like it before.

The shooter/client is returning the camera under warranty.

The Visual Rabbi
TheVisualChurch.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 27, 2011 at 11:20:28 pm

What camera is/was it?

I've even shot with cheap Canon Vixia cameras and they hold up well as long as you don't kick the tripod. Again DSLRs are even more prone to this. Flip and cell phone cameras can get jello as well. EX1 can have this happen if the tripod is kicked but that's about the only time I've ever seen jello.

Return to posts index

jessica ma
on Oct 14, 2011 at 1:18:42 pm

Yes!! Don't move the camera! Don't solve the problem! Just simply AVOID the problem and limit your creativity.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]