FORUMS: list search recent posts

EXCAM clips broken in FCP

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph Colombatto
EXCAM clips broken in FCP
on Jan 25, 2011 at 4:07:33 am

I recently shot a 53 minute continuous segment using a sony EX3, and logged and transfered the file into
FCP. But FCP made various 13 minute segments of the big 53 minute segment. Why does this happen?
Is that a preference in FCP, or the camera?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: EXCAM clips broken in FCP
on Jan 25, 2011 at 3:09:55 pm

It sounds like a workflow issue. That's the size of the clips before joined.
If you're using CalibratedQ or Cinemon plugin and importing the MP4 directly that's the behavior you'd expect.
If you're using XDCAM Transfer or Log & Transfer the clips would be joined when wrapped to MOV unless you are importing a subclips.

You'd need to include your step by step workflow for any further analysis and trouble shooting.

Return to posts index

Joseph Colombatto
on Jan 25, 2011 at 3:14:23 pm

The details of this is the 16 g SxS card in slot B got entirely used up as one clip, (about 45 minutes worth) and then it carried over to slot A (for about another 8 minutes). I left the camera running for continuos sound. When I put the card in my MacBook Pro EXpress Card slot, FCP (6.06) it found card B in "Log and Transfer" but
instead of one 45 minute clip, it had made several 13 minute clips.
No media missing. But there was a sizable audio "pop" between one of the segments. I know it was not my mic, or a recorded "pop" because I reloaded the 45 minute clip from card B using a firewire cable from the
EX3 into my MacPro computer, where I use FCP 7.
The file, in this case, was revealed in Log and Transfer as one big 45 minute clip.
I then went to the point where the two segments had made a "pop" and there wasn't any "pop" at all.
I don't know why FCP 6.06 had created multiple clips on its own!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 25, 2011 at 3:29:17 pm

Workflow issue.
Use ClipBrowser with CRC to copy to hard drive first.
Then use XDCAM Transfer or Log & Capture to bring them in.

FCP may have seen them as subclips. You need to check things carefully when bringing them in. BTW it seems FCP 7 Log & Transfer is much improved when handling EX sources.

Return to posts index

Joseph Colombatto
on Jan 25, 2011 at 3:40:17 pm

Thanks.
ClipBrowser with CRC (CRC is what?) is that a download from the Sony site?

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jan 25, 2011 at 3:41:04 pm

EX devices utilize the Fat32 file system, which has a 4 GB file size limit. long recordings are segmented into 4 GB blocks (12-13 mins). when the XDCAM Transfer, XDCAM Browser and Log and Transfer plugins see these 'spanned' clips and stitch them back together on import.

XDCAM Transfer has the added capability to import only selected sub clips. this is done in the 'Logging' area. for a clip made up of 4 sub clips the Logging area will show 5 entries, the master clip plus all the individual segments. by default the master clip (e.g. "Clip 1") is checked and the sub clips (e.g. "Clip 1, pt 1" "Clip 1 pt 2" etc) are not. if you de-select the master clip and select individual sub clips you will end up with a multi-clip import instead of just getting your one long master clip as one file. also, pressing the Shift button when you import will automatically only bring in any checked sub clips. so perhaps you accidentally brought in only the subs?

Return to posts index

Joseph Colombatto
on Jan 25, 2011 at 4:14:11 pm

Perhaps.
Thanks. What I was seeing in the Log and Transfer window (from FCP 6.06) was the
"Spanned" version (the Master clip) until last night.
For some reason, I am only seeing the sub clips (the 12-13 minute clips).
Could I have inadvertently gotten rid of the Master Clip somehow?
(During import thru Log and Transfer I did double click the BPAV and CPL folders making
sure the media was there. Could that have affected the import?)

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jan 25, 2011 at 4:58:59 pm

the 'master clip' when you have spanned files is a .SMI file in the TAKR directory. think of it as an EDL document that tells Final Cut how to assemble the master clip from the sub clips. if this file is moved or deleted L+T will only see the sub clips (if it sees anything at all). i'd check this and then make sure you're running v 1.2 of the L+T plugin.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]