FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1r -front shoe adapter

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
EX1r -front shoe adapter
on Jan 22, 2011 at 9:06:17 pm

I'm wondering how you EX1r veterans like to mount accessories to the front of the camera.

There is what appears to be a permanent shoe adapter on the front. I'm accustomed to using a 1/4-20 socket on the front of my Sony Z1u to mount a light or a mic shock mount.

But is the front of the EX1r sturdy enough to take the weight of accessories? Is there a specific adapter which you have found especially useful?

Bob C

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: EX1r -front shoe adapter
on Jan 22, 2011 at 9:32:09 pm

I sometimes use a Frezzi dimmer Mini-Fill (not the micro-fill) on the front of an EX1R and they're rather heavy, especially when you add the 6 ft. XLR cord that goes to the battery. No issues.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
Re: EX1r -front shoe adapter
on Jan 24, 2011 at 2:36:30 pm

Like most things on the EX1 and EX3 apparently, this can loosen up over time. It's really easy to slide the metal tab off the shoe and tighten the little screws underneath. I've had to do this to both cameras. I don't know if it's because our cameras operate in ranges from -20 degrees F to over 100 degrees F, but I've had a LOT of screws loosen on the cameras. Not to mention the fact that many people thing *I* have a screw loose! :)

If you're going to hang something heavy on this shoe, it wouldn't hurt to actually remove those screws and apply some blue threadlocker or something. If the weight causes it to loosen while you're on a shoot, that could be inconvenient at best and risk breakage at worst.

Cf

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]