FORUMS: list search recent posts

SDHC card file missing

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Tompkins
SDHC card file missing
on Jan 21, 2011 at 6:03:46 pm

I am recording XDCam to 32GB SDHC card. There are five files on the card but only four of them are usable. The fifth file in XDCam transfer gives me the error "failed to import movie from file" and then the file structure. The thumbnail says "No image available". The video is there because the MP4 file is 2.3 GB. I put the card back in the camera and switched it to Media. It begins to load the clips but stops and says "media needs to be restored" but does not give m the option to restore. When I switch the card back to Camera it does not prompt me to restore the media so I have no way to restore it. Is there a way to manually restore the media? Is there another way to get this clip back?

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: SDHC card file missing
on Jan 21, 2011 at 6:42:06 pm

Bob,

Are you using v 2.12 of XDCAM Transfer?

Can you try manually importing the .mp4 using Clip Browser? This rebuilds the clip and BPAV metadata. If it's only the metadata that's compromised this process may bring the clip back.

If you need CB you can download v 2.6 here:

https://www.servicesplus.sel.sony.com/sony-software-model-XDZP1.aspx

If, going forward, the file refuses to import or play, you should try installing the free trial version of the Cinemon plugin. This allows for native support of .mp4s in FCP and QuickTime with no re-wrap/conversion. You may be able to drag the file directly into FCP. If this is successful you have until the end of the 60 day trial period to transcode the clip to another format.

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-datastorage/resource.latest.bbsccms-assets...

I'd also be curious to see if VLC Player can play the file..

What camera are you using? Do you know the firmware version?

-Ian

Ian Cook
Sony Broadcast and Professional Company

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Jan 21, 2011 at 7:10:44 pm

Ian...I knew you would come to my rescue. I have 2.12 and 2.06 of Clip Browser. My EX1R firmware is 1.15. You and Steve Dirksmeier recently helped me to upgrade my six cameras recently.

The clip does not appear at all in Clip Browser. It appears in XDCAM transfer but where the thumbnail should be it says "image not available". The disturbing part to me is that the camera says it needs to be restored but then gives me no mechanism to restore it.

I tried to convert it with Episode to no avail. I will download VLC player and see if that works. I have Cinemon but have not used it.

Ian, I am quite concerned about this. This clip is not that important to me but if it was I would be upset. I I have had more problems with my SDHC cards with the new firmware than the old. Hopefully we can work through this.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jan 21, 2011 at 7:23:40 pm

Clip Browser may not 'see it' but what I want to do is try to manually import it. It's a slightly different process. Point the top Explorer window to a location ('Desktop,' for example), select File-->Import, browse to the .mp4 and try to import it. If this works it will create a new BPAV folder containing the rebuilt clip in the specified location. If it doesn't you will get an error...

If the above does not work please try importing via Cinemon.

Most of the file issues reported to our tech group involve SD cards and other non-SxS media. I'm not telling you not to use them nor am I looking to start a big COW debate on SxS vs SD...

Let me know..

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Jan 21, 2011 at 7:45:14 pm

So weirder...I put the clip back in the camera and it prompted me to restore...I did but still no clip. Wont play in VLC but the other MP4's will. Now it says the file is only 98KB but XDCam Transfer shows it as a nine minute clip. I will try the clip browser thing on Monday. I still have not figured out Cimemon but have not sat down with it.

I understand the SDHC thing but until someone tells us to stop using them (and Sony stops selling their own cardholder) we should not expect to be losing data.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jan 21, 2011 at 7:54:21 pm

There's nothing to do in Cinemon. It runs in the background as a QuickTime component. When it's installed you can simply click on an EX .mp4 and open it like you would any supported file. Likewise you can then drag it into FCP with no required conversion as if it were an .mov.

Let me know..

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Jan 24, 2011 at 5:56:49 pm

I uninstalled Cinemon and installed it again as it had expired. When I used it to directly import the file in question it crashed Final Cut Pro. Would you like me to FTP the file to you or send the card to you with the file on it? The weird part to me is that it knows there is video there because it shows it as a nine minute clip but only shows the file size as 98BK.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jan 24, 2011 at 6:07:16 pm

If it's crashing FCP there is likely an issue with the data itself. Any luck importing into Clip Browser (again, using the above file-->import method, not just browsing to the source)?

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Jan 24, 2011 at 6:51:50 pm

I may be doing wrong but when I choose Import>File in Clip Browser it does not even show me the card as option to import. It shows on the desktop and in the left side window but not in the choices for import.

Oddly the missing file shows up in XDCam Transfer but not in Clip Browser. In other words, There are 5 clips in Transfer and only five in Browser.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jan 24, 2011 at 7:08:07 pm

re Clip Browser if the card is mounted as a drive you should be able to browse to it. try ejecting and re-mounting. unless the card has a virus or is badly corrupted, that doesn't make sense.

if XDCAM Transfer sees the file and will import it you should import it and then re-export as a new .mp4 or .mxf

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Jan 26, 2011 at 2:43:52 pm

I gave up. Thanks for your help. We can do it again next time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]