FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to get from BPAV/MPEG4 into final cut pro

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Cronin
How to get from BPAV/MPEG4 into final cut pro
on Jan 21, 2011 at 4:48:53 am

I shot on the Sony EX3. I have the whole BPAV folder setup. I have final cut pro, fcp log and transfer plugin, clip browser application, xdcam transfer, and sxs device driver. How do I get my files into final cut without losing any quality? I am very computer illiterate so I'm going to need real specifics.

Thanks so much!
Sean

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: How to get from BPAV/MPEG4 into final cut pro
on Jan 21, 2011 at 5:33:49 am

Okay then, let's get specific. Read the thread at the link below:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/142/874311

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Wilson
on Jan 21, 2011 at 1:49:53 pm

Here's how I do it...

I don't use FCP Log and transfer at all. I'm sure it works fine but I got one of the first EX1's and L&T wasn't supported so this is the workflow I got into and it will works great for me.

Instead of copying the BPAV folder to my computer, I leave the card in the camera and plug the camera into the computer.

The cards should mount. If not, eject the cards from the camera and then push them back in. Name the card something unique that will help you identify the shoot if you want.

Launch XDCAM Transfer and it should find your camera and show you the clips on the camera. Check your preferences to see where XDCAM Transfer is going to put your converted media files.

Keep in mind, there is no real "conversion" going on here. XDCAM Transfer is just re-wrapping the files in a QT wrapper that FCP can understand. This happens in about 5x real time.

You can either click on selects and hit import and just choose IMPORT ALL under the file menu.

Now I go to the folder where XDCAM Transfer put the QT files and drag the QT clips into a FCP bin. If you renamed your card, the folder will have the same name.

For backup, I burn the the card to an optical disc (which is why I actually prefer the old 8 gig cards) or copy to an external RAID.
That should do it.

If you have copied the BPAV folder to your computer you can still make XDCAM Transfer "see it" but you need to click ADD in the lower left and select the folder ABOVE the actual BPAV folder.

Hope this helps.

Andrew Wilson
WestView Digital Video & Design
http://www.westviewdigital.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 21, 2011 at 5:44:15 pm

My workflow:

ClipBrowser with CRC On to copy BPAV to hard drive. Copy All
XDCAM Transfer to wrap to MOV for use in Final Cut Pro.
Back up BPAV to Blu-ray using ClipBrowser to split folders to fit on 25GB disks.

End result is backup on Blu-ray, BPAV also on hard drive. MOV wrapped version for FCP use.
The workflow is lossless. Wrapping to MOV is just that. It's not an encode.

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Jan 21, 2011 at 6:20:08 pm

I do Clip Browser "copy all" BPAV files to BU hard drive.
XDCam Transfer from the BU hard Drive to Final Cut Server for my distribution and further BU.

Sean I have said this many times on this forum. Download the directions for XDCam Transfer and read them carefully. It is not intuitive and has to be done in the correct order. It is great once you figure it out. Do it right the first few times and then adapt it to your needs.

Return to posts index

Andrew Wilson
on Jan 21, 2011 at 7:12:51 pm

I've been doing some testing to solve another problem I have and now I realize a HUGE advantage to using the Log and Transfer window in FCP...

It's the only way to be able to Batch Re-capture your files after they go off-line.

I wish I had know about this when I first started (or figured it out when FCP finally added the L&T within FCP.)

If you use XDCAM Transfer to rewrap the mov files and your files go off-line, the batch capture option in FCP doesn't work.

If you use the L&T tool to ingest your footage, then you can Control-Click an off-line sequence and select Batch Capture and it will work just like tape.

Here's what I did for my test... Ingested all my footage directly from the card into FCP using L&T. Then I edited a test sequence using only 2 clips. Quit FCP. Made a copy of the card to a DVD-DL using the finder and then unmounted my camera. Deleted the media from my Capture Scratch folder. Started FCP. (Media Off-line warnings) Control-Click on the test sequence and selected Batch Capture. Then L&T window appears saying it can't find the original volume. I put the DVD backup in and as soon as it mounted, it captured only the media I used in my sequence. Very slick.

From now on, I'll just be using the L&T tool within FCP.

If I have an old project that's off-line, I bet I can use L&T to bring in all media. Then after that I'll be able to batch capture again in the future. So hopefully I haven't lost the ability to do this on ALL the footage I've brought in using XDCAM Transfer.

Andrew Wilson
WestView Digital Video & Design
http://www.westviewdigital.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 21, 2011 at 7:31:30 pm

I've heard someone else say the same thing. I'd love for Ian Cook to confirm this.

Return to posts index

Bill Kunitz
on Jan 21, 2011 at 8:50:58 pm

I want to second Craig's workflow with a couple comments. I started by just copying the BPAV file from the camera card to a folder I created on the Mac. Sometimes I'd create a bunch of folders so I could quickly copy the files. An 8 gig card would take two or three minutes. Problem was, which folder should I drop this next card into? Jeez, did I already use that one? With ClipBrowser, the folders are created automagically with a time stamp. The download takes longer - because the transfer is being validated. That's a good thing - and I'm confident each BPAV file is in its own folder.

The other note is that for the project I'm currently working on with 80 hours of footage on 166 DL disks, I don't want to have to run all those BPAV files through XDCAM Transfer again, so once I was done with all the transfers, I made a separate backup of the .MOV files on an inexpensive hard drive that I keep in the same separate location as the backup disks and the project backups. That way if the work drive goes down I don't have to spend days re-wrapping the .mov files.

Goranson Farm - a year with an organic farm family
Mac Pro; Macbook Pro; 10.5.8
EX1, rev. 2.; Sennheiser EW1, 416
FCP 7.0.3

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Jan 25, 2011 at 7:00:08 pm

I like the word "automagically." I think I'll borrow that one. : )

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

chris king
on Aug 25, 2016 at 2:22:22 am

Solution 1(only for FCP 7 users): Put BPAV folder to another folder and rename it.

Solution 2: The second common way we fond out is to install Sony XDCAM Transfer application.

Solution 3: The final workaround we got is to encode the MP4 within the BPAV file to ProRoes for FCP.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]