FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1 to internet

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Abray
EX1 to internet
on Jan 20, 2011 at 12:08:59 am

Hi,

I'd be interested to know how more experienced videographers would tackle this. I have a client who wants me to shoot eight hours of university class and then get it to them in a form that they can put on their website. They want it fast, so that students who missed the class can watch it.

If I capture to the cards in HD, it think it takes my iMac about 16 hours to compress 1 hour of footage into h.264 that is 6000 kb/s (about what I usually put on Youtube). This is way too slow. It would take days to compress 8 hours worth of footage.

Perhaps I need to capture an sd feed. I believe I could use a Sony DVDirect plugged into the a/v out to capture sd, but then it would be in dvd-rom format, which would be fine if they wanted to sell dvds to the students, but it doesn't help much in getting the footage onto the internet.

So I'm at a loss as to the best method to get lots of footage from the EX1 to internet watchable format very quickly.

Thanks,
Tom

Return to posts index

Rick Diamond
Re: EX1 to internet
on Jan 20, 2011 at 12:37:23 am

Tom, you can get reasonable quality at 3000 kbps for 1280x720 and 1500 at 640x360. It won't be perfect but for a classroom setting with very little movement you should be fine.

Rick

Return to posts index

Tom Abray
on Jan 20, 2011 at 2:51:28 am

Thanks for the response.

Would that take less time to compress?

Return to posts index

Rick Diamond
on Jan 20, 2011 at 7:19:45 am

Yes, a lower bitrate will give you faster results. Also, if you're encoding using Compressor, try it with frame controls off. If you have frame controls on, settings in "resizing control" such as deinterlace set to best or anti-aliasing cranked up, can slow down the process by a very large amount.

Rick

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 20, 2011 at 12:52:22 am

[Tom Abray] "If I capture to the cards in HD, it think it takes my iMac about 16 hours to compress 1 hour of footage into h.264 "

It might be worth it to get Matrox CompressHD for MacPro or Matrox MXO2Mini with MAX for MacPro or MacBookPro with Express port.
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/seeman_craig/matrox_compressHD.php

If you're on an iMac you may need to look at Elgato Turbo H.264
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/harrington_richard/final_cut_compre...

They'll all generally give you faster than real time H.264 encoding but MAX may be better quality.

Return to posts index

Tom Abray
on Jan 20, 2011 at 2:53:34 am

Thanks, Craig.

I've been reading about the Elgato. It sounds pretty nifty.

I look into it further.

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Jan 20, 2011 at 3:09:32 pm

I saw the demo of the Matrox MXO2Mini. I was amazed at the speed of converting videos. Compressor is just to darn slow.

You can use the Matrox MXo on a Mac.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 20, 2011 at 3:18:03 pm

MXO2 requires either PCIe or Express port. Tom is on an iMac so he may be limited to Elgato Turbo which can use a USB2 port.

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Jan 20, 2011 at 3:31:17 pm

yes, you're right, I didn't see the iMac part. But, it'll work on a Mac Pro laptop with the express card slot.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Tom Abray
on Jan 20, 2011 at 3:37:40 pm

I ended up ordering the Elgato from the online Mac store last night. If it works as advertised, I should get lots of use out of it.

IN the meantime I'll read more about the MXO2. Just in case I ever get a MacBook Pro.

--

I have some done some compressing speed tests and I can compress the EX1 footage to 640x380(or whatever is) with single-pass quality at about a 1:1.5 ratio, in other words, 10 minutes of footage compresses in 15 minutes. If I put the Elgato in the mix, I think that'll be fast enough turn around to suit the client.

Tom

Return to posts index

Duncan Craig
on Feb 22, 2011 at 9:43:14 pm

I know it's an old thread, but I wanted to suggest you look at using the 64bit version of handbrake for x264 encoding which is a faster h264 encoding system. It's really really fast, you can get x264 working through Compressor, but Handbrake does a great job.

EX1
MBP
Short fingernails

Return to posts index

Tom Abray
on Feb 22, 2011 at 9:56:54 pm

thanks. I'll look into.

Quite happy with the Elgato Turbo. I had to download an upgrade to get it working but it now appears to output a Youtube ready video about 5x faster than fcp normally would.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]