FORUMS: list search recent posts

Green screen question

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Davenport
Green screen question
on Jan 19, 2011 at 12:48:37 am

When shooting green screen today the producer slash editor told me he always has trouble keying close to subject. And he was pointing out on the image (head shot)how there is a very small white line around the subject. I saw it as well. Just a guy in a blue shirt on green and there was a very very thin sort of outline around him. What is that?
EX-3, -3 db, 720 24p.

Thanks,

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
Re: Green screen question
on Jan 19, 2011 at 3:02:13 pm

Each software may treat the information differently, along with correct lighting conditions, etc. It sounds like a halo effect. If you can find your feather settings, you should be able to fade it out. I'm just guessing here.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Jason Davenport
on Jan 19, 2011 at 8:23:34 pm

I'm sorry I didn't say, but this is just looking at camera to monitor. Panasonic 1710. No post green.

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Jan 19, 2011 at 8:44:01 pm

What's your green background level, either in IRE units on a scope or in a percentage level on the camera's histogram?

Return to posts index

Jason Davenport
on Jan 19, 2011 at 9:24:01 pm

50ire. on waveform.

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Jan 19, 2011 at 9:34:05 pm

In the past I've come across "ringing" like what you're describing when working with DVCPRO HD footage containing really hot green screens (80-90 IRE), but I haven't seen what you're describing when using an EX1 on a 50-70 IRE green background.

What else can you tell us about the lighting setup? Are you using particularly strong rim lights? Break down the lighting setup for us.

Return to posts index

Jason Davenport
on Jan 19, 2011 at 9:44:34 pm

Unless it was being in 720 apposed 1080, he wanted 720. And image looks slightly softer.
As for lighting 2x4 Kino key w/opal, fill and vertical rim, 2x2 Kino. Green lite with 2 420's LTM with 216 full flood. Green was a nice flat 50 ire. I'll try to get a still later.

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Jan 19, 2011 at 9:48:06 pm

Jason,

There are many types of keying software (and hardware). I'm told by several editors (I'm a cameraperson) that After Effects and Ultimate are the best, and from my own observations of keying sessions, there is a wide ranges of skilled technicians in this world, and I believe that is the ultimate determinant.

Finally, I've always lit my screens to be a stop under the key light in the foreground. This minimizes reflections too, and I've had very few complaints over the years.

JS

Return to posts index

Bo Skelmose
on Jan 19, 2011 at 10:27:28 pm

Hi
Remember always to have some backlite on the object - then you can get rid of the green reflection you will get on your object.

A full pixel kamera like the EX will do better than DVCPro HD that have anamorfic compression 960x720.The EX are 1280x720

Tried the other day with my HPX2100 AVCIntra 100(10bit)/1280x720/50p/-1/100 shutter - Premiere CS5 and Ultra key - Fantastic - When the person moved around - as fast as possible - even brushing the hair - you could never see it was green screen. Not a sign of green - not anything that could tell.
Maybe just the lightning that did not mach the background - the biggest challenge with chromakeying.

Return to posts index

Bo Skelmose
on Jan 19, 2011 at 10:34:15 pm

Just noticed youre on 24P - cannot tell how it works on the panasonic monitor and when and if, it is converted to 25P or 30P.
This pull down thing might do things - any inputs on this ?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]