FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony Ex3 into Final Cut Pro

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Seth Hill
Sony Ex3 into Final Cut Pro
on Jan 17, 2011 at 10:44:38 pm

Our school just bought some Sony EX3 cameras. I shot a few clips, and then I copied the entire BPAP folder, including all the stuff in that folder, from the Sony card, to my hard drive.

Then I tried to Log and Transfer into Final Cut Pro, but I got an error: "SonyEX3 contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media."

I also tried direct Import, but that didn't work either.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Sony Ex3 into Final Cut Pro
on Jan 17, 2011 at 11:12:59 pm

Hi Seth,

When you record XDCAM EX media on to a card there’s only one folder on that card and it’s called BPAV. That’s the folder name that XDCAM Transfer and Clip Browser look for when they do their thing. If the folder is named anything else the programs will not recognize the EX files within the BPAV folders no matter what. That’s why when you copy a BPAV folder to a storage device you must create an uniquely named folder for each BPAV you record. Name this folder whatever you wish. Never alter the contents of a BPAV folder in any way or programs like the Sony’s XDCAM Transfer or Clip Browser will not be able to extract your video files without a lot of extra work on your part. With XDCAM Transfer as soon as you navigate to your uniquely named folder with the BPAV inside the program will "see" the BPAV and all the clip thumbnails will appear.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 17, 2011 at 11:23:43 pm

Think of the BPAV as a cassette with tape in it. If you break the case you're not going to be able to play the tape.

When you take a MiniDV tape out of the camera you put the whole thing in the deck as is. You don't tear apart the case, pull out the tape, crack it open to get at the innards. BPAV is the file container equivalent. In this case the deck is ClipBrowser and XDCAM Transfer. They can't play the tape if you break the case.

Return to posts index

Will Salley
on Jan 18, 2011 at 12:34:07 am

To clarify what Don said, Your BVAP folder should be located inside another folder named of your choosing. I use names like "projectX-card1".

Mac Pro 2x2.8 Quadcore - 10.6.3 - QT 7.6.3 - 22 GB RAM - nvidia8800GT - SATA internal & external storage - Blackmagic Multibridge Pro - Open GL 1.5.10 - Wacom Intous2 tablet - AJA io
SONY XDCAM EX3 - Letus Elite - FC7.0.2 - CS4 Prod Prem.

Return to posts index

Seth Hill
on Jan 18, 2011 at 2:57:20 am

Sorry, in my original post I misspelled the name of the folder. It was "BPAV." I did not rename the folder or anything. I just copied the BPAV folder directly from the Sony Ex3 card to my hard drive.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jan 18, 2011 at 5:12:57 am

You created a folder called EX3 on to your hard drive and then copied the BPAV folder into it. Now start XDCAM Transfer, choose 'Add' down on the lower left in the program window then navigate to the EX3 folder when the dialogue box appears. Double click the EX3 folder to open. You see the BPAV folder icon. Click 'open' in the dialogue box window at the bottom and all your clip icons will load into XDCAM Transfer.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Seth Hill
on Jan 18, 2011 at 2:52:53 am

I created a new folder on my hard drive called "SonyEx3." I copied the BPAV folder (and all its contents) directly from the Sony card into the "SonyEx3" folder on my hard drive. Did I do anything wrong?

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jan 18, 2011 at 10:33:41 am

Seth, I always open a folder first on the drive and name it BPAV then say, the date of the shoot. I then copy the whole BPAV from the card to the new folder. I thought that any folder had to have the name BPAV in the name. Try that and then do as the others have suggested.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Samya Chattopadhyay
on Nov 15, 2013 at 4:04:11 am

Hi Don...

I am an Avid user (used FCP long back)and am not very well brushed up with FCP's folder structure dynamics these days.

I have, on one occasion, transferred the Sony Ex3 footage into an FCP machine when the entire content of the BPAV folder was copied to a folder but not the root folder i.e. BPAV (don't know why...still a puzzle!).

Now my question is, if a new folder named BPAV is created and the entire content is placed into that folder, will FCP's log and Transfer function be able to detect that BPAV folder (with its content)and import footage seamlessly?

A light on this would be highly appreciated.

Another issue...there is one file corrupt in a folder. Like in the folder (inside CLPR) no. 170 among the crowd of say 368 folders. Will log and transfer stop at that folder unable to find 'correct' file? Is it required to put the remaining folders from i.e. 171 onwards in another BPAV folder (placed inside a differently named folder) and then apply log and transfer function there to detect the BPAV folder with remaining content?

I have thought out this from an analogy of importing tga or png sequence. If there is any number error we have to manage this way.

Hope these do not sound utterly silly as solutions. I just tried to logically analyse thing and find a way out.

Thanks
Sam Chatterjee

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Jan 18, 2011 at 11:31:11 am

As I have said many times on this forum the directions to XDCam transfer are invaluable. The process is not intuitive to those used to tape based recording.

Return to posts index

Seth Hill
on Jan 18, 2011 at 2:59:21 pm

The kind folks over at the Apple forums steered me in the right direction:
http://www.sony.ca/xdcamex/software.htm
From there, I downloaded the "Log and Transfer Utility for MAC Version 1.0." Once I installed it, I can now easily Log & Transfer Sony EX3 clips directly into Final Cut Pro.

By the way, we shot the same scene with the Sony EX3, the Panasonic AG-HMC150, and the Panasonic HVX200. They all look very good, but the Sony looks gorgeous!

Return to posts index

Tom Abray
on Jan 20, 2011 at 12:12:42 am

To log and transfer from the EX1 to FCP, you need a plug-in from Sony. I'm sure it's the same for the EX3. It should be easy to find with a Google search.

Also, make sure you don't rename the BPAV folders.

Hope that helps.
Tom

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]