FORUMS: list search recent posts

Interviews ...

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Miller
Interviews ...
on Jan 6, 2011 at 8:52:44 pm

Hello and Happy new year.

I am hoping to start some corporate shoots for the first time this year and was wondering what advice you guys could give me on gear to compliment my EX1. My budget is around £1000 ( I do not know what the US equiv is) any advice on the below items, or anything else really, will be gladly accepted.

Audio:

Lighting:

Cheers guys

AM

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Interviews ...
on Jan 6, 2011 at 10:18:50 pm

Do you have any other gear? That's around $1600 USA I think.
Adding Sennheiser wireless mic, small Lowell light kit, Sachtler FSB6 head with legs is likely to put you way over budget. That's about £2000 give or take.

Return to posts index

Alan Miller
on Jan 6, 2011 at 10:28:23 pm

Sorry to be vague, I already have a Manfrotto tripod kit and the Sony wide angle lens for the Ex1 and I am looking into a IR filter to get those blacks back.

I was really thinking about Mics and Lighting kits. I will look into the two you have suggested. Is there a 'standard' for lighting, I know you need a Key, fill and back lights but what would be the best types?

Would you choose wireless over Camera mic's?

AM

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Jan 7, 2011 at 12:20:18 am

Checkout flolight.com and take a look at the LED lights. They are good and also cheaper and smaller than flourecents. I have two of them and they work great for interviews.

Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 7, 2011 at 1:02:13 am

I've been looking at the Flolights as well. The FL-110AW look interesting because they're dimmable, have barn doors, can be lit for both "indoor" and daylight color temperatures.
http://flolight.com/fl-110.html
I'm cautious about controlling them and getting the look I like with softbox and the moderately focusable Omni and Pro light. I like being able to spot things a bit. They look very good and their prices are very reasonable.

Their LEDs are nice and a bargain price compared to others but the price might take up too much of Alan's budget. Again I'd also be concerned about control and mixing with other light sources. This is daylight but it seems they have "indoor" on the way.
http://www.flolight.com/led-lighting/microbeam-512-high-powered-led-video-l...

I assume you're using these Ron and like them. They have piqued my interest.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 7, 2011 at 12:26:57 am

[Alan Miller] "I already have a Manfrotto tripod kit"
Great because that means you should get close to your target.

[Alan Miller] "Would you choose wireless over Camera mic's?"
Never use on camera mic unless you're in a "backed into the corner" no choice run & gun situation.

Are you just interviewing one person at a time? I like this.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/618738-REG/Sennheiser_EW_100_ENG_G3_B...
It includes one wireless receiver and a wireless lav and wireless hand held transmitter. The hand held helps for proper run and gun but you can get the kit with just the lav for less money if that's all you need.
The full kit (both lav and hand held xmitter) would probably be just over £600 my guess including VAT.

For lighting this might be a good basic kit
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/285928-REG/Lowel_DV_902LBZ_DV_Creator...
It gives you small softbox for key, another light for fill and back and one for background. You might consider a 55 instead of 44 for softbox.
Given your budget you could start with this.http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/285886-REG/Lowel_LCP_944LB_Rifa_eX_44...
The bigger 4 light kit might be around £900 which would put you over budget.
The small 2 light kit might be just over £500 which would put you just slightly over budget assuming the full Sennheiser kit.

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Jan 7, 2011 at 2:21:54 pm

I'll second Craig on the DV Creator 44 light kit. We use those and I like them a lot (we order the ones with the hard case, they're a little more money). It's a good basic kit, well suited for interview work. Treated properly it'll last forever, although I've noticed some fraying in our softbox covers from being folded to fit in the case.

Cf

Return to posts index

Alan Miller
on Jan 7, 2011 at 8:33:32 pm

Thanks everyone... Lots to go on

I will be interviewing one person at a time for now :-) The sennheiser G3 looks pretty good although the £600ish will soak up alot of my budget...

Thanks again for all the help

AM

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 7, 2011 at 9:01:30 pm

You can buy with just the lav and receiver and save some money. The hand held mic plugin is primarily if you're doing stand up ENG style interviews.

Return to posts index

Alan Miller
on Jan 8, 2011 at 12:01:05 pm

I am now thinking that I will probably want a more versatile audio set-up. Not only for interviews but for outside ambient sounds too. Would something like a Sennheiser K6/Me66 kit be more practible or the Me67? Maybe on a boom pole for interviews. They are about £450 and £340 respectively here in the UK :-)

Cheers

AM

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 8, 2011 at 4:38:20 pm

Boom pool is fine if you have a sound person with you. Keep in mind you're also hanging a cable unless you go wireless there as well. There's nothing like one of you yanking the other's gear because someone is outrunning someone else. If you're a one person band then a hand held with wireless base is easier.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jan 8, 2011 at 5:32:04 pm

I'm doing interviews single handed all the time. I prefer not to rely on radio mics because of the danger of interference, particularly by mobile phones that have not been switched off. If you're in control of the environment I suggest either a lapel mic connected to the camera with a cable easily routed inside the shirt. Provided the shot is waist level and above there's no problem. If you prefer not to see a mic in shot then I place either my camera mic (removed from camera) on a stand close to the speaker or my Sennheiser M66 also on a tripod or stand directed towards the speaker which need not be quite so close if you want a wider shot. Placing both mics would be preferable (using both input channels) then you have a choice of tracks when editing. As to lighting, here again it depends on the control that you have but I often use daylight from a window with a small fill light set to 5600 Kelvin.

One thing not mentioned is the desirability of having a shallow DoF thereby isolating the subject from the background. I prefer using a long focal length and an open iris which means getting well back if there is space to do so. Otherwise really close and placing the subject as far from the background as possible. Still with a wide open iris, which may mean using the built in ND filter on the EX1. All elementary photographic principles which seem to be a mystery to the modern day videographer.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Alan Miller
on Jan 8, 2011 at 9:56:53 pm

Rode NTG2/3 vs Sennheiser Me66/67 ???

AM

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jan 9, 2011 at 12:17:00 am

The Røde® NTG3 seems to have a narrower polar pattern than the Sennheiser® but the NTG3 is much pricier than the Senn 66. The NTG3 is also not as sensitive as the higher end Audio Technica® in the same comparable price range. More latitude, however, can be a good thing when you're dealing with soft and loud vocals during the same (interview) take. My AT4073a is a nicer sounding shotgun than my NTG3, which sounds almost muffled by comparison. I can't speak to the sensitivity of the Senn 66 but I know it's considered a 'hot' mic.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jan 8, 2011 at 5:53:17 pm

I'm doing interviews single handed all the time. I prefer not to rely on radio mics because of the danger of interference, particularly by mobile phones that have not been switched off. If you're in control of the environment I suggest either a lapel mic connected to the camera with a cable easily routed inside the shirt. Provided the shot is waist level and above there's no problem. If you prefer not to see a mic in shot then I place either my camera mic (removed from camera) on a stand close to the speaker or my Sennheiser M66 also on a tripod or stand directed towards the speaker which need not be quite so close if you want a wider shot. Placing both mics would be preferable (using both input channels) then you have a choice of tracks when editing. As to lighting, here again it depends on the control that you have but I often use daylight from a window with a small fill light set to 5600 Kelvin.

One thing not mentioned is the desirability of having a shallow DoF thereby isolating the subject from the background. I prefer using a long focal length and an open iris which means getting well back if there is space to do so. Otherwise really close and placing the subject as far from the background as possible. Still with a wide open iris, which may mean using the built in ND filter on the EX1. All elementary photographic principles which seem to be a mystery to the modern day videographer.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Alan Miller
on Jan 9, 2011 at 4:02:45 pm

Thanks again for all the help... I have spent a lot of time researching audio online and I really think the RODE lavalier or maybe the RODE Pin mic, hard wired into my EX1 is a great starter. There are plenty of reviews and tests and they sound pretty awesome and best of all, Cheaper ...

Now for lights :-)

AM

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Jan 10, 2011 at 3:25:45 pm

I have the Lowel Riffa soft box which soften's the HD wrinkles on your subject's face.

I have a light kit, but one day I decided to use my inexensive LED on camera lights that I purchased from lcd4video.com (R-3 for $100)
It has a built in warm filter on the light.
http://www.lcd4video.com/categories/LED-Video-Lights/

I used 3 of these for a shoot, spot, fill, hair light and they looked better than my $3,000 light kit. They've also come out with a new LED on camera light for $200 with more lumens.

Now I still show up with my big softbox kit for my bigger corporate clients, more for show than anything. But I'm using these LED lights more and more, because the final result is still good.

I have 2 cheap tripods or light stands to hold the on camera lights in position.

I use the Sony wireless Lav. I recently purchased a lav mic shield so I can hide the mic inside a shirt while still picking up the interviews. The Sony has never had any problems with interference. I did a seminar shoot with 12 cameras and 24 wireless systems going in multiple conference rooms with no interference problems.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Jan 10, 2011 at 3:43:40 pm

Brent, which lav mic shield did you buy? I'm looking for something like that right now.

Cf

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Jan 11, 2011 at 4:18:37 pm

I just saw this one, it looks better than the one I purchased.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/258089-REG/Tram_MC1_Mic_Cage_1.html

Here is the one I purchased. DPA Microphone Concealer. I haven't had a chance to try it yet. It comes with round tape to mount inside of clothing and protects the edge of the mic from the rubbing noise.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/309938-REG/DPA_Microphones_DMM0009_DM...

Brent

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop