FORUMS: list search recent posts

PDW-U1 can´t write

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Allby Corry
PDW-U1 can´t write
on Jan 5, 2011 at 3:35:58 pm

Hi,

Recently I purchased a PDW-U1 XDCAM drive but something strange is happening when I try to record a IMX 50Mbps file to the Clip folder.

When I export a file using a setting in Premiere CS5 (MPEG2 IMX 50Mbps)and try to copy it to the PDW-U1, I get a message "You need permission to perform this action / You require permission from everyone to make changes to this folder".

But if I export from another program, Vegas Pro 9 for example, I can write to the PDW-U1 without problem.

One thing I noticed also that the properties of the PDW is always read only.

Any help is gratefully.

Cheers,
Allby

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: PDW-U1 can´t write
on Jan 5, 2011 at 4:25:59 pm

Do you have the driver installed? If the U-1 is always in read-only mode, how do you write from Vegas? Are you working from multiple systems?

Latest driver can be found here:

https://www.servicesplus.sel.sony.com/sony-software-model-PDWU1.aspx

Afterwards use the bundled utility app to upgrade the firmware on the U1 (firmware is included with the utility; you don't need to download anything else).

Return to posts index

Allby Corry
on Jan 5, 2011 at 4:41:20 pm

Thank you Ian,

I have all new upgrades U1 v2.30, firmware 4.50.

Looking in the properties of all the folders, are read only.
I´m using win7 64-bit and if I go to the disk management I can see that the drive is read only.

I can not understand how I can write to it.
I know is that if I export a file IMX from any program other than the CS5, I can write the file in the U1, very strange...

Cheers,
Allby

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jan 5, 2011 at 5:04:06 pm

Does the drive itself show as read-only or just the Clip, Sub etc folders? It's normal for these folders to be restricted. Are you able to export sequences in other codecs from Premiere?

Return to posts index

Allby Corry
on Jan 5, 2011 at 5:34:19 pm

Looking at the drive in the disk management it´s read only.

I exported the sequence to avi, dv and 25 others codecs, but none of them lets record to U1 disk.

Is it possible to be a problem of Premiere?

Return to posts index

Allby Corry
on Jan 5, 2011 at 5:49:31 pm

Ian,

I just export a file using the IMX Rhozet Carbon Coder, and can record in the U1 as well as the file generated in Vegas.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jan 5, 2011 at 6:27:12 pm

Is Rhozet exporting a file with a C*** name, while Premiere is exporting a file with the sequence name? You need to enable Free Naming on the drive (in the Utility app) in order to send it anything with a non-canonical file name. Can you check this?

Return to posts index

Allby Corry
on Jan 5, 2011 at 7:01:47 pm

Was in Free, I switched to C*** and back for Free but still the same way.

Sorry but what is C*** name?

Rhozet exported with the same name that I exported from Premiere.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jan 5, 2011 at 7:07:48 pm

What if you export locally and then try to manually copy the file to /clip?

C0001 etc file names are the default names for XDCAM files. The 'Free Naming' setting allows you to use arbitrary names.

If you'd like to send me a short sample file to check out here on my system, let me know.

Return to posts index

Allby Corry
on Jan 5, 2011 at 7:41:52 pm

Ian,

I'm exporting to a drive and then try copy using explorer.

I have a mac book and installed the U1 and tried to copy the file generated in Premiere (win7) and received the following error:
The folder can not complete the operation because some data in "file name " can not read or written (Error code: 36)

I'm sending you a short sample.

1467_verao.mxf.zip

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jan 5, 2011 at 9:02:33 pm

The file has 4 channels of 16 bit audio. I think this is probably the issue. IMX formats must have 4 channels of 24 bit or 8 channels of 16 bit. The U1 can work some magic with the channel counts on certain formats but can't do 16/24 bit conversion. Can you try again with 4 x 24 or 8 x 16?

Return to posts index

Allby Corry
on Jan 5, 2011 at 9:27:38 pm

Ian,

I exported both, 4 x 24 and 8 x 16, and same permission error message.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jan 5, 2011 at 9:40:43 pm

Can you send me a short sample file that's IMX50 with 4 x 24 or 8 x 16? Also could you briefly step me through your export? File-->export, select MPEG2 MXF, etc etc

Thanks

Return to posts index

Allby Corry
on Jan 5, 2011 at 10:04:29 pm

I´m sending you a zip file with the IMX50 4 x 24 file and two print screen with the setting that I used.

You will see that I'm using the Main Concept plugin because the MPEG2 IMX default setting of Premiere is pretty bad, and neither can swap audio in 24 bit, as you can see in print screen "premiere_codec".

1468_teste.zip

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jan 5, 2011 at 10:25:36 pm

this one fails as well with 'rec format mismatched' error when trying to FTP to a PDW-HD1500. i have a feeling there is something wrong with the file Premiere is encoding. i will need to test on my end with an export from our CS5 system. there was a bug in CS5 that affected certain exports but I believe that was already addressed. stand by..

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jan 6, 2011 at 9:55:26 pm

I was able to get this to work successfully using the attached settings. Can you try an export using the attached Main Concept template? The U1 had no problem writing these to disc..

If this fails we may need to have Adobe take a look at a short sample file to help us determine of some errant information is being placed in the file header or elsewhere. Our tech office does not have a hex editor or anything comparable. The files you sent me will play in the dedicated Sony MXF player but they hiccup and stutter continuously. None of the machines will write these to disc and the FTP daemon on the HD-1500 keeps returning a 'rec format unmatched' error, which means there's probably something slightly out of spec with the files...

Return to posts index

Allby Corry
on Jan 7, 2011 at 11:38:56 am

Hi Ian,

Thank you, you save me.

I could write the file using the template that you sent me.
Does the problem was that I was using the Multiplex OP-1A?

Best regards,
Allby

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jan 7, 2011 at 2:52:29 pm

Glad it's working. Can you upload a copy of your original template?

Return to posts index

Allby Corry
on Jan 7, 2011 at 4:15:00 pm

Attached the template I used to make the file that has problem.

1477_xdcamsdimx50.ini.zip

Return to posts index

Bruno Cunha
on Feb 18, 2011 at 9:08:52 am

Hi there!
I had the very same trouble I find this post very useful, but how do I merge the .ini file in Premiere Pro? There's such a thing like "Import Settings Template" somewhere?

Regards,
B.

Return to posts index

Henrique Luna
on Feb 22, 2011 at 2:04:22 pm

I have the same problem with the same system: Win 7 64bits + PDW-U1 + Premiere CS5.
Can you tell me how to import these presets that you sent?

Best Regards,
Henrique Luna

Return to posts index

Olgu Demir
on Sep 13, 2011 at 5:05:24 pm

Hi Ian,

I had the very same trouble but how do I use the .ini file which you send in Premiere Pro? Mostly presets are .epr file, so when i copied .ini file (yours) i didnt see it as a exporting preset.

If you can guide us for this as well i would be great!
Thanks
Olgu

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]