FORUMS: list search recent posts

Faulty PMW320 or Faulty SxS Cards

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
iain Johnston
Faulty PMW320 or Faulty SxS Cards
on Dec 17, 2010 at 7:24:45 pm

I hope someone can help!

I have just got a call from one of my clients who is very confused, I've just finished filming a two days seminar and the clips that I have filmed do not appear to be in the order they were filmed in i.e. clips that were filmed in the morning of day two are in the afternoon of day one. Here's an example of the clip numbers.

I have a screen Grab of the clips in XDCam Transfer but don't know how to attach it to this thread!

Card 1
063-3567
063-3568
063-3569
063-3570
063-3565 (it re sets its self to 3565
063-3566
063-3571
063-3572 Incomplete

Card 2
063-3573
063-3572

Around 6 hours of footage was filmed each day using my Sony PMW320, I used my SxS cards on day 1 and SXS Cards on the morning of day 2 and the SDHC in a MxM Adaptor in the afternoon of day 2, regardless of the card type the Clips appear to be random and out of sync on both card types.

It would appear that every so often the clip will return to the Number 063-3565 then 063-3566 , etc., thus giving me 2 clips with the same, this is an editors nightmare! So over two days many of the clips have the same numbers.

When viewed the cards in the Camera, XdCam Transfer,Clip Browser or Via FCP Log and Transfer the same thing happens.

This is a tricky one to explain I hope you have been able to follow my dilemma!

Cheers Iain J

/Users/iainjohnston/Desktop/Screen shot.png

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Faulty PMW320 or Faulty SxS Cards
on Dec 17, 2010 at 7:36:32 pm

Odd indeed. It's hard to know why this happened. Given that the EX has a computer brain have you tried resetting the camera and/or removing the internal batter overnight to allow the camera to "drain" and then test with the same cards to see if you can repeat the issue.

Does the time code continue properly? In other words when 3570 ends does 3565 continue forward with the time code?

Return to posts index

William McCauley
on Dec 17, 2010 at 9:21:26 pm

I have had something similar happen on an EX-3 with SXS Pro Cards... On two occasions and several different projects apart. Mine was 3 or 4 duplicate file numbers on different shots. But what saved me was the addition of a (1) after each duplicate shot "number" so I could piece together what was going on. Wasn't sure I could root cause it... and it was intermittent between projects, so I put it in the pilot error bucket... (but reasonably sure it's not) since its happen on 2 of 40 different projects.

Now it hasn't happened again in a couple of months... Probably will on my next project after I hit Post Direct here... :-)

Return to posts index

iain Johnston
on Dec 17, 2010 at 9:33:57 pm

Hi William

That's concerning! did you contact your dealer or Sony about the issue.

Here is a screen grab of my log and transfer window.

Iain J

Return to posts index

Dean Longfield
on Dec 23, 2010 at 2:23:04 am

I noticed something with the clips on your frame grab that have the same number: 063_3581_01.
The first clip is 16 seconds and 17 frames in length. Perhaps the shortness of the clip had something to do with the camera and/or card using the same number twice. Another possibility is if you hit the record button quickly in between those two clips, and the camera did not have time to tell the card that the first clip 063_3581_01, was completed.

I also have a PMW 320, but have not yet experienced the above.

However, when I've used a Focus Enhancements FS 200 Pro, that records onto CF cards I noticed that if one doesn't give the unit X amount of seconds in between hitting the record button OFF & ON, it can give the same number, record a corrupted clip, or not record at all. Perhaps something similar is happening on your PMW 320?

I'd check the other times it's happened and see if the clips are of a short duration. If so that may be it.
If not then you may be hitting record-stop, and then quickly hit record-on, too rapidly at times thus not giving the camera enough time to register the end of that clip number, so it begins the next clip with the same number.

Do let us know what your findings are.

DL

Return to posts index

iain Johnston
on Dec 17, 2010 at 9:45:03 pm

Hi William

I had a look at the numbers on the end and they are the same, so know way of identifying the clips! as you will see from 063_3579_01 which appears twice.

Iain J

Return to posts index

William McCauley
on Dec 19, 2010 at 11:46:02 pm

That's seems similar to what happened to me except I would have seen a 063_3579_01 (1) on the second file. Did not contact anyone because I don't know how to replicate the issue and it has not happened in the last 10 projects or so...

Return to posts index

iain Johnston
on Dec 22, 2010 at 10:41:09 pm

Hi William

I don't want to worry you but you may have a faulty camera,, the clips should not behave like this and for that reason Sony Prime Support have requested that I return my camera as they think it has a fault!

Iain J

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]