FORUMS: list search recent posts

Live Streaming with EX1

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Colin Brady
Live Streaming with EX1
on Dec 14, 2010 at 2:31:14 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm a long time reader of the forum but first time poster.

I want to use software called Livestream that allows you to stream live from your facebook page.

It currently recognises the web camera on my macbook and from reading the Livestream forums it's possible to stream with the EX1.

My problem is this. How can I connect my macbook directly with the camera? There's a lot of talk of connecting through firewire but I'm unsure of what cables/connections I need.

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Thanks!

Colin

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Live Streaming with EX1
on Dec 14, 2010 at 4:03:00 pm

EX1 in HDV compatible mode over firewire.
If you have MacBook Pro with Express port, Matrox MXO2-LE from HD-SDI can work and it's what I use. I have a Livestream Premium account and I use the above with Telestream Wirecast (see COW Wirecast forum).

I'm not sure if Livestream will recognize HDV or MXO2 directly though. You can try with their free Procaster app though.

Return to posts index

Colin Brady
on Dec 14, 2010 at 6:07:10 pm

Thanks Craig,

I finally got it by connecting firewire 9 pin - 4 pin to the mac and using Telestream Wirecast to broadcast it onto my Livestream channel on facebook. Very exciting stuff!

The only problem now is that there is a huge delay in the stream, (3 minutes) and it doesn't flow nicely. There's a lot of stopping and starting. The viewer in Telestream is fine though, it's just the picture in Livestream.

Is there any settings I can adjust to get a smoother icture with less delay?

Thanks,

Colin

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Dec 14, 2010 at 7:15:56 pm

I use my EX1 to Microsoft Live Meeting using the 4 pin Firewire out to 4 pin firewire in with a PCI card to my PC laptop. I bring the audio in using the headphone out to the mic in on the PC. The quality is mediocre at best but the delay is less than a second. I would think 3 minutes is unacceptable. It could be a internet problem that is causing the delay. Do you have sound also?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 14, 2010 at 7:46:12 pm

The three minute delay sounds like it might be internet or server related.
What are your encoder settings (frame size and data rate) in Wirecast?

Return to posts index

Colin Brady
on Jan 13, 2011 at 11:04:07 am

Hi Guys,

Thanks for you help thus far and happy new year! I was on hiatus for a while but I'm back working on the project.

Lowering the data rate and frame rate improved the stream speed dramitically. I haven't concentrated on sound just yet, picture is the priority for now!

So far I've just tested one EX-1 plugged directly into a macbook with firewire which has worked. I'd like to upgrade to 2/3 EX-1s for a shoot. As I said this is new territory for me but I've figured that using 2 EX-1's (either through a vision mixer into a macbook or through 2 different 800 firewire ports into macbook). The signal would be inputted into Telestream and broadcast that way?

What are the benifits of using the Matrox MX02?

Also concerning internet speed, what would the best portable connection be to do the job to livestream on facebook to say 1,000 viwers?

This is the specs for my current mobile broadband
Deevice speed: 14.4 Mbps
Download allowance: 15GB

Thanks,

Colin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]