FORUMS: list search recent posts

Having trouble importing SONY EX3 footage....

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eoin McManus
Having trouble importing SONY EX3 footage....
on Dec 12, 2010 at 3:31:05 am

Hello,

I have recorded several sessions of footage with a SONY EX3. It was only after the first shoot that i learned about creating a .dmg of the media card and using the log and transfer method in Final Cut Pro.
For the first shoot, I simply dragged the disk onto my harddrive and went on to (foolishly) rename the folders so I could identify the footage within.

Now, Im trying to import the footage into FCP and having problems. It seems no program (FCP,Compressor) can properly interpret the files.

I tried the workaround of bringing the footage into After Effects and exporting again but the file sizes were too large.
I have the XDCAM TRANSFER plug in for FCP and tried that as well, but it would not recognize my footage.
Can anyone help me get this footage into FCP with little to no loss in quality??

Thanks
-Eoin

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Having trouble importing SONY EX3 footage....
on Dec 12, 2010 at 6:19:51 am

When you record XDCAM EX media on to a card there's only one folder on that card and it's called BPAV. That's the folder name that XDCAM Transfer and Clip Browser look for when they do their thing. If the folder is named anything else the programs will not recognize the EX files within the BPAV folders no matter what. That's why when you copy a BPAV folder to a storage device you must create an uniquely named folder for each BPAV you record. And never alter the contents of a BPAV folder in any way.

I've never heard of anybody creating a disc image of a card but I suppose it's another way of archiving. However, nothing is more simpler than the way I've described. If you can go back in your workflow and somehow take the contents of each disc image you've made and return each BPAV folder to its original state then use the above workflow in the 1st paragraph.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Eoin McManus
on Dec 12, 2010 at 11:35:49 pm

Im going to try to return the files to their original BPAV structure and hopefull this works. Thanks for the response. :)

Return to posts index

Eoin McManus
on Dec 13, 2010 at 1:00:50 am

Hey,
I put the footage from my XDCAM into the original folder structure, but now XDCAM transfer and LOg & Transfer can't recognize the clips that were moved. Only the ones that stayed in the same place can be seen and imported. Does anyone know a solution to this problem?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Dec 13, 2010 at 4:08:21 am

If you have Sony's Clip Browser version 2.6 you can import orphaned MP4 files and Clip Browser will generate a new BPAV folder. If any of the MP4 files are larger than 4 Gbytes Clip Browser may reject the import because of the FAT32 file size limit on meda cards.

Here is a possible workaround to the FAT32 limit kindly explained by Ian Cook from Sony:

"Clip Browser does not support files over 4 GB. Unfortunately it is a known limitation of the software. However, XDCAM Transfer 2.12 supports loose .mp4s so the file should be importable into FCP. Try adding the folder with your .mp4s as a source in Transfer."

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]