FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM EX - missing clip 1 of spanned clip; all files intact

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris chandler
XDCAM EX - missing clip 1 of spanned clip; all files intact
on Dec 9, 2010 at 5:46:07 pm

I've run into a bit of a mystery with an XDCAM EX clip. I've searched around the forum and couldn't find anyone that's had this same issue.

To start off, I know how the spanning process works, and the file structures, etc.

I have an SxS card that has 4 clips in the CLPR folder, one of them being spanned (126_0998_01 and 126_0998_02). When viewing that card in FCP, XDCAM EX Clip Browser, Avid MC, or even back in the camera, it's as if clip 126_0998_01 does not exist; I see the other clips and can review them, including the #02 clip in that span, but the first part, which is the full 3.5GB-worth, is mysteriously nowhere to be found. Inside the BPAV > CLPR > 126_0998_01 folder, all 5 appropriate files are there (mp4, smi, ppn, xml, bim). The mp4 is 3.5GB. I tried opening that mp4 file up with VLC; even though VLC will give you an error, you CAN usually watch those mp4s on it. With this clip, that's not the case, nothing opens.

When I put the card back in the camera, I do not get the prompt to restore media, and unless I just can't find it, there's no way to just manually force the camera to do so.

Any ideas?

thanks
chris

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: XDCAM EX - missing clip 1 of spanned clip; all files intact
on Dec 9, 2010 at 5:59:41 pm

Have you copied the BPAV to a hard drive?
Do a test in ClipBrowser 2.6 accessing all the BPAV for this project and see if it can play the clip through.

When you say the clips are on the SxS card did you put them back there or is the card the actually material straight from the camera?

Return to posts index

chris chandler
on Dec 10, 2010 at 1:14:29 am

Unfortunately it has already been copied to a drive. I went in today to troubleshoot some other clip issues (different problems all together), but was unable to solve this one.

To attempt the 'media restore,' I copied the BPAV folder onto a freshly formatted card, and then put it into the camera. I've done that for other issues and it has worked, and you can access all the clips in the camera in media mode, just like a freshly shot card.

All other card volumes on the drive, as well as the cards that still had data on them and had not been reformatted, operate fine in Clip Browser (and everything else, for that matter)

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 10, 2010 at 1:38:05 am

If you were to make a copy of the mp4 clip (copy not move the original) on to your desktop and you used file import into clip browser does that work?

In other words if it's only the metadata and not the clip itself that damaged, importing the orphaned clip might rescue it as an independent clip.

Return to posts index

chris chandler
on Dec 10, 2010 at 7:59:09 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm onto a different job now so I'm unable to do any more trial and error with the source media. I'll pass your suggestion along, though, and see if the editor wants to try it. I think he's resigned to losing that one clip and cutting his losses because we were able to recover other material that was high priority.

thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]