FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony EX1 firmware update problem

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Mishima
Sony EX1 firmware update problem
on Dec 8, 2010 at 10:07:19 pm

I tried to update my EX1 to firmware 1.25. Not realizing it was on firmware 1.02. I hear the updates have to be done in steps from earlier versions. Called Sony and was told the main board may need to be replaced. Can anyone tell me why the main board should have to be replaced? Seems like it should be just a firmware related issue on the board not physical damage. Dropped my camera off at Sony service in LA today.

I have read that people have had their ex1 cameras sent back to Sony Japan. The firmware is reset there at the factory. Cost was much less expensive than a board change.

Would like to hear from others who have had similar problem and how it got solved hopefully without a costly main board replacement.

Thanks,

Tom

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Sony EX1 firmware update problem
on Dec 8, 2010 at 10:27:25 pm

I've heard that only Japan can fix the firmware with a cost a bit over $300 dollars. I've also heard when not done by Japan they replace the motherboard because they don't have the facility to do the firmware fix and charge around $3000.

I'd love to hear otherwise. I really wish Sony's local service centers were able to handle it. The "tool" to do this must cost a fortune if local service centers don't have this.

Return to posts index

Thomas Mishima
on Dec 9, 2010 at 9:27:54 pm

Thanks for your reply Craig. The Sony updating program should kick one out of the process when it recognizes an incompatible firmware it is trying to update.. I have made calls to other service people and they have heard of this major problem. So I know others have experienced this as well. It's too bad that this situation has to arise out of what should be a very simple and safe process. I have updated firmware myself on many cameras and devices and never experienced anything like this. At the least it should be a factory/local service center reset of the firmware and not a destroyed board in the camera. Hopefully the case is not a destroyed board. I am waiting to hear from Sony Repair.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 9, 2010 at 10:03:02 pm

It's not a destroyed board. It's apparently that Sony Japan will not provide the tools to fix to the local service centers. That's why it seems to be $300+ to Japan yet $3000+ locally.

I can only assume that either the tools needed to fix it are either very expensive or for security reasons they don't want the tools to be in the hands of local service centers.

I'm also an experienced facility engineer and every once in a great while something unforeseen can happen when updating firmware from a computer. It's one thing if the risk price is free vs $130 vs $300+ but it's another when it's vs $3000+.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]