FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ex-1 to SD Broadcast Question

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Wiseman
Ex-1 to SD Broadcast Question
on Dec 8, 2010 at 6:10:34 pm

Hello. So I work for an online news website and we do all our video with Sony Ex-1's. We shoot 1080 30p and usually export to 720p h.264 for use on the web. This has always worked fine for out needs.

Recently we partnered with Time Warner Cable though, and will be supplying them some material weekly for broadcast on a special channel. The station will be broadcast in standard definition.

I'm wondering about workflow here. We've shot some HD material already for a promo we're running to promote the show.

I made a NTSC DV timeline in Final Cut Pro 7 and added the HD clips (careful not to conform the sequence to the XDCam format at HD resolution) and resized them to fit neatly in the 4:3 frame.

I wondering now about export settings. I've included some graphics made in After Effects and exported in the "Animation" codec. I want everything to look crisp and as good as possible for broadcast, so my sense is not to export the sequence as is (i.e. DV). I had thought of maybe changing the sequence compressor to "uncompressed" and then export.

Any thoughts on this? Is there a better way to accomplish this task? Am I on the right track?

Ps I posted this in the broadcast forum as well.

Thanks in advance.
Todd

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Ex-1 to SD Broadcast Question
on Dec 8, 2010 at 6:47:45 pm

Really depends on what they are using on the other end. In general I'd suggest ProRes but you need to confirm the folks doing the broadcasting can accept ProRes.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 8, 2010 at 7:01:04 pm

I would not work in a DV timeline. If they don't accept ProRes consider 8 bit uncompressed or even DVCPro50 if you must. At this point though ProRes really seems to becoming closer to a universal playback standard. Extreme Reach and I think DGFastchannel may accept it for spot delivery. At the very least you can use ProRes source to encode to another codec and it'll survive the "battering" much better than DV.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Dec 8, 2010 at 7:42:39 pm

Yup- just sent my feature and its trailer to the iTunes music store via ProRes HQ on FTP. So long tape....

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Todd Wiseman
on Dec 8, 2010 at 8:03:51 pm

Thank you everyone. I'm getting in touch with their tech people soon, but now I'm armed with some potential solutions. I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond. This forum is second to none.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]