FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1 Firmware Update

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Dolan
EX1 Firmware Update
on Dec 6, 2010 at 8:45:51 am

I've been searching for this but coming up empty;

How do I determine which firmware version came with my EX1? I puchased it in Sept '09. I want to upgrade the firmware, however this note on Sony's download page has me concerned:

NOTICE: PLEASE ENSURE THAT YOUR PMW-EX1 OR PMW-EX3 IS CURRENTLY AT V1.05 OR BETTER BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO LOAD THIS UPDATE. IF YOUR CAMCORDER IS CURRENTLY AT V1.04 OR LOWER, PLEASE CALL YOU LOCAL SONY SERVICE CENTER FOR FURTHER INFORMATION.

How does one determine this before attempting an update?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: EX1 Firmware Update
on Dec 6, 2010 at 9:41:51 am

With a little help of the SEARCH (upper right window):

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/142/870911#870925

rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Chris Dolan
on Dec 6, 2010 at 11:04:53 am

Thanks Rafael! I clicked the blue SEARCH menu item in the main EX1 forum - no doubt why I came up empty. ;-)

Chris Dolan

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 6, 2010 at 11:21:08 am

Hi Chris,
I wouldn't recommend you to don't try to do the update by your self.
We already know few cases of people which have paid very expensive for trying that.
Cheers,
rafael

Return to posts index

Chris Dolan
on Dec 6, 2010 at 11:24:46 am

I've been reading through the thread below, and while I see people reported problems, there also appear to be plenty of people who did it successfully.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-cinealta/474251-xdcam-ex-firmware...

Chris Dolan

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 6, 2010 at 3:19:12 pm

As Clint Eastwood used to say in the Dirty Harry movies, "Do you feel lucky?"
A firmware upgrade that even has a slim change of a $3000 repair bill vs $130 to have Sony do it. I'd consider the $130 an insurance policy that Sony warranties its upgrade rather than DIY.

Return to posts index

Chris Dolan
on Dec 6, 2010 at 11:41:42 am

I posted a link to a site where I've been reading about this update, but the link apparently contained a word which required my post to be submitted for moderation... -I guess links to that site aren't welcome here.

Anyway- I read on that site some people had problems, but others installed it without issue. Is it because of the Mac/ PC issue? Which is the preferred method? Many people reported the installation resulted in a crash or other problem but when they attempted it a second time were successful.

I'm in Beijing and I'm not sure: A) if I trust it to be done correctly here, and B) where to find a legal, qualified support center.

Chris Dolan

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Dec 6, 2010 at 1:01:14 pm

My understanding is that the EX1r's are much easier to upgrade. My Sony rep said EX1's should only be done at a Sony tech center. You can apparently fry the EX1 fairly easily.

Return to posts index

Daniel Startek
on Dec 6, 2010 at 10:12:11 pm

Updated my EX3 without problems. The PC upgrade works better than the Mac version. At a recent seminar, the Sony Canada rep endorsed user upgrades. He also mentioned that there is a way to upgrade using a SxS card without going the maintenance USB port route. I think the main problem is using the wrong USB port.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 8, 2010 at 10:25:03 pm

A guy posted to me pulling his hair because all what he was getting, after hours trying everything, was a black screen.
He never posted back to tell about the bill.
rafael

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 8, 2010 at 10:27:38 pm

[Chris Dolan] "I'm in Beijing and I'm not sure: A) if I trust it to be done correctly here, and B) where to find a legal, qualified support center."
Go to SONY Beijin. The price may be a fraction than in other places.
I paid for my Firmware update in Bangkok some 50 US$.
rafael

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 8, 2010 at 10:43:34 pm

Sony USA quoted me $130 to do it. I'd rather pay $130 and wait a few days than risk $3000 repair or weeks turnaround shipping camera to Japan and back.

Return to posts index

Chris Dolan
on Dec 9, 2010 at 2:47:00 am

I guess I will find the Sony center in Beijing. I originally didn't want to deal with the hassle of finding it, getting there (Beijing's traffic is horrendous) waiting a couple of days, and spending the money. I thought it would be simple enough to do it myself, as I am technically competent, however it sounds like it isn't worth the risk. I just don't understand why the camera is so sensitive, why a simple firmware update could fry the motherboard.

Chris Dolan

Return to posts index

Chris Dolan
on Jan 12, 2011 at 8:39:57 am

I thought I'd update this thread because I successfully updated the firmware myself. This is offered as a data point, not to discredit those who advised against the DIY approach. As it is currently my only camera, much consideration was given to the associated risks.

I searched high and low for an actual, authorized Sony service center in Beijing and came up empty. The only location listed on Sony's website was in Shanghai, and those that I found in Beijing were questionable. I called SIM Video in Beijing and spoke to Ansen, who stated he had done the upgrade himself on a number of cameras. Considering that Ansen did the upgrade simply by following the instructions, I figured I should be able to do it myself with almost the same risk. I didn't trust any of the other "service centers" I found in my search, and felt I am potentially more competent or at least as competent as anyone else based on what I've seen here for so-called 'technicians.' Ansen reassured me by saying I shouldn't have any problems if I just follow the instructions, so I did.

The upgrade went smoothly and the camera is showing version 1.25 installed. It also accepts a recently purchased Hoodman SxS adapter with 32 gig SD card, so far with no errors. The only change I've noticed is a reduction in the available memory on the SxS cards. A 16 gig card shows 55 minutes where it previously indicated 57 minutes, even with a re-format.

I do appreciate the advice given here and respect the collective expertiese, but I wanted to offer an opinion and data point that this can be done successfully if the instructions are properly followed.

Chris Dolan

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jan 12, 2011 at 4:52:02 pm

Chris there has been 2 firmware updates that I know of and the first update wasn't something Sony wanted the end user to do because it was a two part firmware flash, somehow this firmware was found on a Sony site from a country I can't recall and it was very risky for some to try and install, and I believe it was a PC only software. I believe this was the update that most people should allow Sony to install however I found a reliable PC and did it myself holding my breath. I believe the update you did is straight forward and most people shouldn't have any issues.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 12, 2011 at 5:12:28 pm

[Michael Palmer] " most people shouldn't have any issues."

That's the catch. While Sony's new firmware update can be done by the enduser and is easy on the newer EX cameras as it can be done on the SxS card, older EX1 cameras need to use the hidden USB port. Again most people shouldn't have any issues with that either but if you DO have an issue you've bricked your camera sans warranty and the repair is circa $3000. As Clint Eastwood used to say in Dirty Harry, "Do you feel lucky?" In this case luck in on your side but there are enough stories about bricked cameras that it would be safer to have Sony do the update for $130 and then they can take care of it if luck should not be with them. Some people might find the $130 "insurance" of a Sony Service update over the small risk of a bricked camera with a $3000 repair bill.

Return to posts index

liam iandoli
on Sep 6, 2011 at 5:06:14 pm

I own a Sony Pmw-Ex1 camcorder and a macbook pro with express 34 slot and am experiencing some trouble with my media management. I have downloaded xd cam transfer v 2.12.0 from sony's site and it was working fine but then a warning started to show up when I inserted an sxs card which read:

Failed to compile statement 'select t3.UMID from CLIPMETADATA as t1 outer join MEDIAINFO as t2 outer join MEDIAID as t3 where t1.KEYFRAMECLIPID is not null and t2.DISCID = 156 and t1.UMIDID = t2.UMIDID and t1.UMIDID = t3.ID;' (1: RIGHT and FULL OUTER JOINs are not currently supported)

i have also noticed that when I boot the software all ticks are green apart from 1 red warning that says missing xd cam drive software. do I have to completely remove the software and start again somewhere?

I currently have v1.20 firmware on my camcorder and would like to upgrade, if that will help, i've seen the threads on here and will send it to a sony centre in the uk somewhere.

Return to posts index

Julien Ober
on Sep 8, 2011 at 9:10:42 am

Hi,

Same message with XdcamEx3 on Mac Book Pro / XdCam Transfer 2.12.0.

Error Scanning Device
Failed to compile statement 'select t2.UMID from CLIPMETADATA as t1 outer join MEDIAID as t2 outer join MEDIAINFO as t3 where t1.KEYFRAMECLIPID in ( 21, 20 ) and t1.UMIDID = t2.ID and t1.UMIDID = t3.UMIDID and t3.DISCID = 6;' (1: RIGHT and FULL OUTER JOINs are not currently supported)

All ticks for Installed Components are green.

XdCam Firmware is 1.04.0084 so maybe too old for Xdcam Transfer?

Once I passed the Warnning messages (one for each occupied slot of the camera) everything seem to work normally : importation and quality of pictures are ok.

What could be the problem of this warning message. Could it be a problem for later during the editing of the movie?

Thanks for help,

Julien

Return to posts index

Jason Kabrich
on Sep 23, 2011 at 3:02:39 am

I just started getting the exact same error message. I used this camera (PMW-EX1) about three weeks ago and everything worked fine. Tonight I got the message but the camera and footage still work fine. Could this be MAC OSX 10.7.1? I just updated...

Return to posts index

Keith Golinski
on Oct 24, 2011 at 5:46:20 pm

Error Scanning Device

Failed to compile statement 'select t3.UMID from CLIPMETADATA as t1 outer join MEDIAINFO as t2 outer join MEDIAID as t3 where t1.KEYFRAMECLIPID is not null and t2.DISCID = 1 and t1.UMIDID = t2.UMIDID and t1.UMIDID = t3.ID;' (1: RIGHT and FULL OUTER JOINs are not currently supported)

I'm getting the same thing here. I have the latest version of firmware on my EX1. Sent it to Sony.
XDCAM Transfer V.2.12.0

I recently migrated to a new MacBook Pro with Lion and I have a feeling it's a Lion thing. A bunch of programs had issues.

The video imports no problem and cuts fine on the time line. Just hate having a warning popup.

Keith Golinski
Fulvew.com

Return to posts index

Jason Kabrich
on Oct 24, 2011 at 6:09:27 pm

I emailed Sony and they sent me a link to update XDcam transfer to 2.13. It's not a public release yet but it works great and fixed my problem which was the same error as yours. It is optimized for Lion. Go to

http://www.sendspace.com/file/9gzr35

Just make sure you click on the download file and not an add. They are everywhere...

Return to posts index

Keith Golinski
on Oct 24, 2011 at 6:15:35 pm

Awesome!
Thanks for the quick response.

-Keith

Return to posts index

Adomas Zalensas
on Nov 23, 2012 at 3:48:50 am

I am posting this here, because it is the first google find on the topic. I have painstakingly searched the topic, with very little information. Hope it will help someone in here or from google.

I have succesfully updated my EX1 from 1.11 to 1.30
It has fixed a very important problem (for me at least) - SD card support. Before most SDHC cards would produce a 'Media error' after a few minutes recording. Now I can put just about anything that passes for an SD card (given it can actually sustain a 5MB/s write) and it records it without errors (test based on 10h recorded on a few cards).

The firmware I used can be found here in a file named item-1.zip:
http://www.pro.sony.eu/pro/lang/en/ir/support/software/1237486650470

A simple registration is required to download it.

The update was straightforward enough, took care of everything (including EX1 drivers), overall took about 10 minutes, though I do recommend reading the included instructions as many times as you can before your eyes bleed and continue only if you understand what you are actually doing.

Done on Windows 7, 64-bit.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]