FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX 3 XDCAM Battery Problem

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Mims
EX 3 XDCAM Battery Problem
on Nov 27, 2010 at 4:18:58 pm

Alas, I didn't realize that the tiny on/off switch was left on after a shoot and ran the battery (BP 30U) too far down. I put it on the Sony recharger all night and still only three lights showing on the battery after removing it from the charger. In trying to add more charge I get three orange blinks then green blinks-indicating it is not taking any more charge.
Is there anything I can do to get it back to full (4 lights) charge or am I stuck with "Battery Memory"?
[I hate that tiny on/off switch on the EX 3. Hope that changes on future models!]

Mims

Return to posts index

Bo Skelmose
Re: EX 3 XDCAM Battery Problem
on Nov 28, 2010 at 9:51:20 pm

This has nothing to do with any memory effect if it exist.
Probably one of the cells has collapsed and cannot receive any charge.
One way is discharge the battery and charge again - if it do not work, you might have to put it on a powersupply where you can give it some chock with more power than stated on the battery. This could be with several amp's more than the battery normally can cope.
BUT beware - this can maybe make the battery explode....
Some batteries can be disasembeld and you can fine the cell that has collapsed and only try to choc this cell.
This has worked for me with both Li-on's and NICD batteries.

Return to posts index

Zisis Gkoulioudis
on Sep 21, 2012 at 2:03:40 pm

Hello William.. acouple years later.. hahahaha
I have the same problem with you.. How did you solve it..? :)

Return to posts index

William Mims
on Sep 21, 2012 at 9:02:00 pm

Zisis:
I let the battery completely discharge and in came back on charging to be four lights. That worked for a while and now it has gone back to only charging up to only three lights. (?) In the 'old' days of Betacam SP NP-1 batteries, when this happened, I would take a paperclip and short out the battery to a discharge of below 11 volts and then recharge to get full charges again. I don't think that will work with these newer Sony batteries. Rather annoying not to find some magic bullet to fix the problem. I have a Swit battery that is much bigger and after 3 years, seems to be bulletproof. They are under $ 200 and I think a real bargain for the amount of recording time they put out.

Mims

Return to posts index

Zisis Gkoulioudis
on Sep 21, 2012 at 9:37:50 pm

Thanks William for your fast responce :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]