FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is this the way SxS/SDHC cards work?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Speace
Is this the way SxS/SDHC cards work?
on Nov 25, 2010 at 12:14:35 am

On Monday I shot a Memorial Service that lasted 44 minutes! One continuous take. When I got back to my office I put the M+R card in a reader... the video was recorded to a 16 gig SDHC card. I copied the BPAV file to the hard drive. I started up a new project in Adobe CS5. I then looked at the files in the CS5 Media Browser window. I had 4 files. I clicked in each one of them so I could see them in the Preview Window in CS5... to my surprise all 4 files where identical. I thought that the video would be broken into 4 files due to the 4 gig Fat32 limitation. So my question is why are there 4 files when they are all identical...shouldn't the 4 files be "the" continuous recording that I would have to link together by putting all 4 on the timeline to get the total 44 minutes? If all 4 files are the same... then, why are there 4, shouldn't there be just one file?

Windows 7, i7 8 core, 16 gig ram, CS5 64 bit, GeForce 4800 graphics card

Dave Speace
Producer/Director/DP
DZP Video

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Is this the way SxS/SDHC cards work?
on Nov 25, 2010 at 12:34:33 am

Maybe there's a bug in CS5 support for EX .mp4 files.
Try playing the files in Sony ClipBrowser 2.6. It should play as one continuous 44 minute file there.

Return to posts index

David Speace
on Nov 25, 2010 at 12:49:17 am

I will try with ClipBrowser, but the point is that all 4 files where the same... it didn't matter which one I put on the timeline... the video was the complete 44 minutes... from just one clip. This was shot with the EX1R.

Dave Speace
Producer/Director/DP
DZP Video

Premiere Pro CS3
Windows XP Service Pack 3, Intel Core-2 Quad, Q6600 @2.4GHz, 3.25 GB Ram

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 25, 2010 at 12:50:59 am

I can't help but think the problem is with CS5 though. Also check to see you didn't actually import the same first 4GB four times. It'll become obvious with ClipBrowser.

Return to posts index

David Speace
on Nov 25, 2010 at 1:09:03 am

You keep saying that the file is 4Gb... the file is about 13Gb... (I'm not in my office at the moment) and each one of the 4 files is numbered consecutively... but each file when put on the timeline... doesn't matter which one I put on the timeline will play the 44 minutes of video... 4 identical files... anyway on Friday when I go to my office I will check how these files show up with ClipBrowser.

Dave Speace
Producer/Director/DP
DZP Video

Premiere Pro CS3

Return to posts index

David Speace
on Nov 25, 2010 at 1:10:28 am

I guess the original answer to my question is that it isn't supposed to work this way.

Dave Speace
Producer/Director/DP
DZP Video

Premiere Pro CS3

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 25, 2010 at 1:13:33 am

File would only be 13GB if joined on import. SxS/SDHC with EX is Fat32 4GB limit. It records a series of files linked by the metadata. If you have one big file and it's 44 minutes, then you have everything you need, don't you?

Return to posts index

David Speace
on Nov 25, 2010 at 1:36:29 am

I understand what you are saying... yes, I had one big file and everything worked... but what showed up in the CS5 Media Browser where 4 big files... and it didn't matter which one I chose to add to the bin and the timeline. My expectation was that I would have had to add each of the 4 files in sequence to get my 44 minute video... the first clip would be 12-minutes, as would the 2nd and 3rd clips and the final clip would be 8-minutes or thereabouts. But it didn't work that way... So which way was it supposed to work... one big file... 4 big files that are the same... or 4 files in sequence?

Dave Speace
Producer/Director/DP
DZP Video

Windows 7, 64 Bit, i7 8 Core, 16Gb Ram, GeForce 4800

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Nov 29, 2010 at 2:15:21 pm

Sounds to me like it's actually working better than expected, and that CS5 recognizes that each of the four clips you imported was part of a long continuous clip. Then when it imports each clip it does the job of joining all the segments for you, "behind the scenes" as it were.

Cf

Return to posts index

David Speace
on Nov 29, 2010 at 4:23:18 pm

Yes, this is the way it is supposed to work in CS5... I guess. If I open the SxS card in Sony's ClipBrowser program it shows up as one file! I could then copy it to a directory and then open it up in CS5... however, I am skipping the ClipBrowser step because I can do the same thing in CS5's Media Browser window!

Dave Speace
Producer/Director/DP
DZP Video

Windows 7, 64 Bit, i7 8 Core, 16Gb Ram, GeForce 4800

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]