FORUMS: list search recent posts

any way to make separate clip?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Danny Lewis
any way to make separate clip?
on Nov 23, 2010 at 5:40:17 pm

Hello all,

I've just gotten an EX3 and I love it. It's very compact and powerful and I'm so very happy with it, but I'm running into some problems with long clips and AVID.

I'm assuming that the camera formats it's cards into Fat32 and when a clip runs over 4gb, it splits that clip into a subclip. That's cool, but that's giving me a headache. When I try to pull that long clip into AVID, I get a _ClipTransit-02 error and the whole clip is garbage and can't be played.

Is there any setting in the camera to make it cut the clip into a whole separate clip, instead of a subclip?

Does anyone know what I can do to fix this?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: any way to make separate clip?
on Nov 23, 2010 at 5:46:06 pm

See tutorial and workflow guide for Avid.
http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-xdcamexsite/resource.demos.bbsccms-asset...

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Nov 23, 2010 at 6:25:38 pm

You can create new subclips based on the spanned master clip using Clip Browser, but you cannot combine 4 GB portions into one >4GB master clip. If there's something in the .SMI (the spanning document) that AVID doesn't like, creating a new spanned clip or a series of subclips may help get the clip imported. The command in CB is "Make New Clip from In/Out Region" and you can access it from the file menu or by right-clicking on the thumbnail for the spanned clip. A new clip will be created using the mark in/out points you select.

Also-- make sure Avid can see all portions of a spanned clip when importing. If the clip spans two cards/volumes AMA needs to be able to access both at the same time.

Best,

Ian

Return to posts index

Danny Lewis
on Nov 23, 2010 at 7:30:00 pm

Thanks Ian, I'll look into what you suggested. Maybe you can answer this.

In the EX3 camera, is there a way to make it handle the clips so that when one segment reaches 4GB, the camera will create an entirely second clip with the remaining footage incoming?

example:
Clip 0001 reaches 4GB and instead of becoming 0001B, just becomes Clip 0002, or does that not make sense?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Nov 23, 2010 at 7:41:31 pm

No, you'd have to manually start/top the recording.

That said...it's already more or less doing what you describe. Each spanned portion is a self contained .mp4 media file. There's a separate .smi document that links related .mp4s together. If Avid is giving you issues with spanned files you can use Clip Browser to manually import the .mp4s to a new BPAV folder. This will create a card archive with standalone <4 GB files. To do this, navigate to where you want the new files to live in the file/folder tree in CB (for example, "desktop"), create a new folder in that location (eg "New Clips"), then go to file-->import and import the .mp4s from your card to this location. You'll end up with a card that plays the same and has the same video/audio/tc but without the spanning on >/= 4 GB clips.

Return to posts index

Danny Lewis
on Nov 23, 2010 at 7:46:32 pm

Awesome. That's exactly what I gathered I should do from Graigs post about the workflow manuals. Thank you guys so much, you've made me and my editors happy. :)

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 23, 2010 at 7:42:19 pm

if you were to use CalibratedSoftware (or Cinemon?) they would import as separate clips on Mac with Final Cut Pro. I'm wondering if AMA does this on Avid. You might look to see if CalibratedSoftware will do this for you as well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]