FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM-EX to DV (Need Opinion)

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Babbitt
XDCAM-EX to DV (Need Opinion)
on Nov 16, 2010 at 11:28:28 pm

I have a client bringing me a 2-camera project to edit. One camera is DVCAM and the other is XDCAM-EX.
So, I intend to edit in a DV sequence. Are there any opinions on whether I should transcode the EX clips to DV first in Clip Browser, or let FCP do the transcoding during the editing process?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: XDCAM-EX to DV (Need Opinion)
on Nov 17, 2010 at 2:50:53 am

Depends on your hardware and the amount of filters, transitions you see yourself doing but I would say don't bother to make XDCAM EX as DV, just cut as is. If performance is an issue- you can always run everything through a Compressor Droplet and turn it into DV.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 17, 2010 at 11:02:27 am

I would put everything in a DV sequence and change the sequence codec to Prores.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Les Wilson
on Nov 18, 2010 at 12:34:21 pm

If you read up on this, the consensus is to use a workflow that has FCP do the scaling from HD to DV. I experimented with various approaches and concluded that's the best approach. Rafael's approach is pretty much the easiest way to do it. Create a timeline that standard def but uses Prores as the codec. Don't let FCP change the timeline to match the footage. Your DV and XDCAM footage will all have to be re-rendered on the timeline.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 19, 2010 at 12:39:13 pm

I forgot to add:In FC, set "Render all YUV in High Precision" and "Render Motion Effects: BEST".
This should improve the process.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]