FORUMS: list search recent posts

PDW-800 vs PMW-500

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Paris
PDW-800 vs PMW-500
on Nov 13, 2010 at 6:07:56 pm

Looking into purchasing the new Sony PMW-500, but after getting close to pulling trigger also considering buying the F800/F700 instead. I've been shooting with the PMW-350 now for about 6 months and have been happy with the camera and the work flow, but would like to upgrade to the better sensors... higher bit rate and the XDCAM codec.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Bill Paris
Producer/Director of Photography
Crew Hawaii Television
http://www.crewhawaii.com

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: PDW-800 vs PMW-500
on Nov 14, 2010 at 3:05:17 pm

As a PDW700 & F800 user/owner. I have really fallen in love with the XDCAM disc media. It is so cheap, reusable and the ability to hand it off is so convenient. Furthermore cheap file based recorders like the Nanoflash and Ki Pro/Ki Pro Mini can leverage even better recording formats when necessary. In addition the inexpensive PDW-U1 reader is a "no brainer" to help clients integrate the media into their workflow.

JMHO,

JS

Return to posts index

Bill Paris
on Nov 14, 2010 at 5:35:17 pm

John,
Thanks for your response, I was hoping you would share your thoughts. Have you found yourself transferring files to drives for clients that don't have the XDCAM players? Do you use the PDW-U1 to accomplish this or the Nanoflash? I've found many of my clients are comfortable with the XDCAM EX codec since many of them have used footage from the EX-1/EX-3, but I could see providing them with Pro Res via the Nano flash could also work. What has your experience been?

Thanks!

Bill Paris
Producer/Director of Photography
Crew Hawaii Television
http://www.crewhawaii.com

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Nov 14, 2010 at 6:14:43 pm

Hi Bill,

What I do with clients new to the XDCAM Disc media, is loan them the PDW-U1 Reader until they are comfortable with using it, then I either sell them one or rent it too them at $100/week.

For my own projects, I prefer to use my PDW-HD1500 Deck and play into FCP through the Kona card as ProRes. This eliminates a lot of rendering of the project on the way out of the machine.

I've also used Nanoflash to record higher bit rates for commercials and other more "EFP" type productions as well as recording on to the discs for backup. I have to say that I've just sold my Nanoflashes in anticipation of delivery of Ki Pro Minis which offer 10 bit recording taking the "upmarket" even further, while at the same time offering "Direct To Edit" (DTE) workflow as established by the Alexa, meaning that you can edit directly from the media (in this case CF cards) without even importing. This obviously has advantages when you're in a super-hurry.

The PMW-500 while recording onto SxS cards still doesn't offer this workflow as the media is still XDCAM codec vs. ProRes, which is immediately editable by FCP. I see this as a disadvantage mainly because of the cost of the SxS cards (although the 64Gb does lower the per Gb cost by half) without actually taking advantage of the write speed of which they are capable (like the Alexa does).

JS

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Nov 14, 2010 at 9:04:24 pm

To put the compression differences between the XDCAM EX and the Arri Alexa cameras into perspective, it takes 116 min. for an EX to fill up a 32G card. The Alexa can do it in 12 min.

I am also waiting for my Ki Pro Mini to show up. Weren't they supposed to start shipping at the end of October? Or was it November?

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Nov 14, 2010 at 10:28:06 pm

As of this morning Adorama had them in stock for $1995. Do a search as I remember seeing a couple other places that supposedly had them as well. Not sure how accurate this is though.

Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Nov 15, 2010 at 2:33:42 am

B&H Photo has the Ki Pro Mini and accessories available for pre-order. I don't think anyone actually has them yet because they haven't started shipping. If you dig further at Adorama you'll probably find a similar situation.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Nov 14, 2010 at 10:38:40 pm

Don,

According to latest query to AJA, there have been some "manufacturing delays" and in addition their marketing policy will have them deliver to their biggest customers first, rather than in the sequence of orders by date and time. These two factors make it very difficult to determine when deliveries will finally begin.

JS

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Nov 14, 2010 at 11:48:03 pm

Thanks for that, John. I was starting to wonder if such a delay was the cause. I even went so far as to read some recent AJA "tweets" but there was no mention of the Ki Pro Mini. Just an announcement that the new Kona board started shipping on Friday.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Nov 15, 2010 at 3:34:30 am

I will say it is inspiring as a collective forum we are all interested in going beyond the limits of the camera manufacturers.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 15, 2010 at 3:44:25 am

PMW-500 is 2/3" CCD actually.
It's the first camera that allows one to format the SxS to Fat32 for EX or UDF for 50mbps 4:2:2 MXF.
Using CCD instead of CMOS and offering MXF are a couple of key things that separate it from the PMW-350. Sony says it's a "B" camera to the 800 (Sony likes calling things "B" cameras a lot these days). Actually I told them it could be the "A" alternative as I suspect the transfer speed for full resolution MXF from SxS is going to be faster than XDCAM Disc and that can be critical in ENG work.

http://pro.sony.com/bbsccms/assets/files/micro/xdcamex/brochures/pmw500_V24...

Return to posts index

Alan Grattan
on Apr 11, 2012 at 6:19:58 pm

Hi All,

I know this is an old thread, but just wanted to re ask the question. Aside for the recording media aspect, is there any difference in the actual images from these cameras? Setting aside profiles etc, but lets say using one of the hypergammas. I read somewhere that the signal processing in the 500 is the same as the 350, which differs from the 700/f800 processing. (apparently nothing to do with 35 420 vs 50 mb 422 differences)

I am just about to make the decision to buy either a 500, 700 or f800. 99% of the work I do is in house so not concerned about handing over media etc. Image quality is paramount in this decision.

Many thanks Guys
Alan

Return to posts index

Pablo Balsa
on Jun 17, 2012 at 5:50:23 pm

I ususally work with both models (700 & 500) Probably ccds block is similar, not the same, but 500 comes from 350 medium level cameras. Codecs, bit rate etc are the same but processing aren´t. Menu settings can´t be changed between them.

In a direct HD-SDI output to monitor pictures are very similar, but 700 is in a upper sony level. There have been 10 firmware updates for 700s, and more than a year after 500s started, just one update, and there are not news about others coming. This is very important because 500 needs fine tuning in some areas. (ATW, zebra, etc.)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]