FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reading EX files

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Wargo
Reading EX files
on Nov 12, 2010 at 7:01:06 pm

I shot a job in Phoenix and transferred the files using Transfer (FCP)and sent them to the client in another state. The client on the other end cannot read the files. What does he need in order to see those?

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Ask me how to Market Yourself using Send Out Cards

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Reading EX files
on Nov 12, 2010 at 7:12:10 pm

Hmm, I think someone has taken over Steve's account.

You sent them EX mov files?
They'll need Final Cut Pro 6.0.2 or higher for the codec.
Alternately the CalibratedSoftware codec.

I wonder if this would work although it's not clear if it's .mp4 or .mov
http://blog.lib.umn.edu/mcfa0086/discretecosine/164630.html

Personally I only send BPAV since I have no idea what the client has. They can view in the free ClipBrowser which I'll also include. Alternately they get an Apple ProRes encode which can play back on both Mac and Windows without FCP these days.

I'd never send out and EX .mov file unless I was absolutely sure they were using an FCP version with the codec installed.

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Nov 12, 2010 at 11:26:52 pm

Thanks Craig, I've never sent files to a non-FCP person before. I went ahead and sent a drive with everything on it.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Ask me how to Market Yourself using Send Out Cards

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Nov 15, 2010 at 2:23:21 am

Sounds like ordering pizza: "Hello, Drive 222? Yeah, I'd like to order a 3 1/2 inch drive with everything on it."

Lately I've been having good luck sending Windows® people their finished web movies in H.264 format in an MP4 wrapper. If I'm just sending the raw footage to PC editors I'll ask what editor they're using and go from there.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 15, 2010 at 2:33:02 am

If it's just for screening copies, WMP12 on Windows 7 plays H.264 files natively. No need for them to install Quicktime. Thank you Microsoft for doing this.

With IE9 supporting HTML5 H.264 it means you can send screeners in H.264 as Don is doing and post online in HTML5 and the IT meanies can still block Quicktime and Flash Player installs and Windows houses will be able to play the screeners.

I'm a Mac person (but I do Windows) but Windows 7 and IE9 are really moving to make this a happy world "Kum ba yay"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]