FORUMS: list search recent posts

Archiving ineptitude

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Geoff McKay
Archiving ineptitude
on Nov 11, 2010 at 5:28:37 am

So, another quick question about archiving my EX3 footage. I filled up a 32 gig card, transferred the BPAV folder directly to a hardrive, changed it's name to the date I transferred it, and then thought I had better try and read the files from the hardrive before I deleted them from the camera. Lo an behold, the EX transfer software from Sony says that it doesn't recognize the file format, even though it recognized it perfectly when the file was on the camera.
I learned a while ago that these "issues" are almost always caused by some sort of error on my part, so I was hoping that somebody would chime in with a question to help me out with what I am doing wrong!!

Return to posts index

Bruce Rawlings
Re: Archiving ineptitude
on Nov 11, 2010 at 8:11:52 am

The BPAV must not be renamed. Put the BPAV in a named folder. Every BPAV will always be called BPAV, that is why the named folder system is the way to go.

Return to posts index

Geoff McKay
on Nov 11, 2010 at 9:26:48 am

Thanks alot Bruce. I'll let you know how things turn out.

Return to posts index

Geoff McKay
on Nov 11, 2010 at 9:30:48 am

Bruce, you are a genius. All the footage was there, and all I had to do was rename my folder back to BPAV. I didn't even have to delete it all and re-transfer it to the hardrive!! I am in your debt!! I like your suggestion of the named folder. I just have to come up with a good naming scheme.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 11, 2010 at 6:00:11 pm

It's important that you learn the proper workflow so this doesn't happen again so do heed what I suggest.

Return to posts index

Geoff McKay
on Nov 11, 2010 at 6:26:45 pm

You betcha. I originally just downloaded the transfer software. After your suggestion I went and downloaded the clip browser as well. I need to spend some time with it, but am going out today to get some footage of our first snowfall.
By the way, what is the downside of just dragging the BPAV from the camera into my hardrive?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 11, 2010 at 7:25:52 pm

[Geoff McKay] "what is the downside of just dragging the BPAV from the camera into my hardrive?"

ClipBrowser can use CRC checking, if enabled, to verify the copy. Copies have been known to go bad (even if rare it's disastrous).

From the manual

Perform CRC check after copy: When this check box is checked, the application performs a CRC (cyclic redundancy check) error check after copying a file, and displays a message if a copy error is detected.

Of course another upside is that you can have it name the folder with a timestamp which which give you a dated folder which contains the BPAV folder. Since I think you mentioned you had changed the name of BPAV to the date, I thought I'd point out that ClipBrowser can create a time stamped named parent folder for you automatically. ClipBrowser decreases the risk of human error.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 11, 2010 at 1:42:25 pm

Use ClipBrowser to transfer and it can create a time stamped named folder which contains the BPAV.
As Bruce says, never rename the BPAV. Also don't copy by drag and drop, use ClipBrowser with CRC enabled.

Return to posts index

Bruce Rawlings
on Nov 12, 2010 at 8:07:34 am

BTW I am only a "genius" through picking up the knowledge generously imparted by Craig,Don,Noel etc. This is a great info board.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]