FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony EX1 Blue Spot

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Colin Thrupp
Sony EX1 Blue Spot
on Nov 7, 2010 at 8:56:20 am

hi there,

i have been using an ex 1 to shoot a marine wildlife rescue documentary and today my heart sank. i shot the most amazing sequence of dolphins mating (from the surface, not underwater), but when i got it back and up on my apple screen, an aqua blue dot is just left of centre and about half the size of your pinky finger nail. at first i thought i had missed a water drop, but i'm pretty good with this stuff and when i checked my lens no water was on it. i then tested it and found that the dot was still there even when i removed the uv filter (which has been on it since day 1) and even after i had cleaned it. any ideas what it is? have i blown one of the sensors / chips in the camera? has water got in it somewhere? it is now slightly larger but more transparent than it was, almost looks smeared (hence the water theory, but it's strange cause i would've though if water had got in there would be a line down the screen rather than a perfect blue dot... and it's not a blown pixel). any help / ideas would be greatly appreciated. also, it seems to get worse when i activate the nd filters...

cheers, col

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Sony EX1 Blue Spot
on Nov 7, 2010 at 5:00:27 pm

Get it serviced at a Sony repair shop- sounds like a stuck pixel or possibly worse.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Steve Culpepper
on Nov 9, 2010 at 7:12:24 pm

We've got 4 of these cameras and have had the same issues. Send it in to Sony.

Return to posts index

Bill Meissner
on Nov 10, 2010 at 9:08:09 pm

Sorry to hear that.
I had a magenta spot develop on my EX1. Visible when the lens was closed way down...f11-16. Turned out to be a scratch on one of the sensor chips.

point your camera a the sky or a brightly lit wall and close down the iris, see if it becomes more visible and distinct. If so, it's probably on one of the sensors.

Sony service took care of it and replaced the assembly..on my dime.

Bill

Sony EX1
Final Cut Studio 2
MacBook Pro
2.4Ghz / 4Gb Ram
Matrox MX02 LE

Return to posts index

Colin Thrupp
on Nov 10, 2010 at 11:31:26 pm

yeah, that sounds exactly like what it is... you can't see it some of the time, or at least it kinda 'fades' into the background, but then when you crank the iris and shoot at water or the sky, BAM! there it is! how the hell does one get a scratch on the sensor? you say sony fixed it but it cost ya, was it still under warranty and they decided it was your fault, or was it out of warranty? i took it into a service centre earlier this week and waiting to hear back from them. the guys i bought the camera off (AV-Central, Adelaide) were awesome about it and gave me an EX3 kit to use (for free) while i wait, but i am worried about it. how much did t cost ya to replace / repair the sensor?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Nov 10, 2010 at 11:57:52 pm

[Colin Thrupp] "how much did t cost ya to replace / repair the sensor?"

I don't know offhand how much it will cost but I do know that it won't be cheap. Firstly Sony doesn't replace just one sensor but instead the sensor 'block' which is an assembly of all three of them. Then they start at the back of the camera to get at the sensor block. This is because the lens is attached from inside the front of the camera body. The sensor block is just behind the focal point which is shown on the right side of the camera body.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Bill Meissner
on Nov 11, 2010 at 12:39:19 am

I don't know exactly off the top of my head but it was in the +/-$1K range. Ouch! It was out of warranty, I bought it used.

Bad news is the money I saved on the used camera was spent on the repair.

Good news is that I have a camera with a brand new sensor block and everything up to specs as new.

It continues to serve me well. I'm good with it.

Bill

Sony EX1
Final Cut Studio 2
MacBook Pro
2.4Ghz / 4Gb Ram
Matrox MX02 LE

Return to posts index

Alan Fleury
on Sep 4, 2011 at 6:37:42 pm

I am experiencing a magenta colored dot on my EX1R footage ... is there a problem clearly identified and a solution?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]