FORUMS: list search recent posts

Gen lock errors sony pmw-EX3

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Hounslow
Gen lock errors sony pmw-EX3
on Nov 3, 2010 at 9:46:37 pm

Hi,
Has anyone experienced Gen lock loss on the Sony PMW-EX3 while it is genlocked? (am using tri level sync, camera setting is 1080i 50)there are not very many settings available on the camera to help with this, (the camera is 100% locked normally with no drift)

I have 3 cameras which are part of a several camera system which keep dropping out of lock momentarily often a few times a day at random times.
The momentary Gen lock loss and reconnection has the result of the camera output being interrupted while it re-locks its self. Rather than slowly re-locking it is just too agressive. Any ideas?
This is causing my ingest servers to crash at worst case.
Would be nice to find some hidden menus with advanced Genlock settings!

I am still trying to find out what is causing the ref error in the first place, the ref is on a long run. The only solution i have come up with so far is to remove ref and let the camera free run, which is not a good solution as i'm having to cut between cameras and other VT equipment.

any thoughts welcomed, (in a few days am receiving some test kit to enable me to log HDSDI errors and ref errors).

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Gen lock errors sony pmw-EX3
on Nov 4, 2010 at 6:46:17 pm

what kind of switcher are you using?
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Jason Hounslow
on Nov 4, 2010 at 8:12:35 pm

hi rafael,

I am using a probel sirius multiformat router, everything is genlocked and synced, its just the handful of cameras that i'm having the sync issue with and under normal conditions they are alligned up perfectly, have also already tried other sources at the camera location and the problem disappears, I have today been advised to upgrade the camera firmware, though reading some of the other posts in the forum, could prove tricky, I have also just received a Hamlet monitor scope 9000, which i will be hooking up tomorrow to log any signal errors if there are any.

Return to posts index

Jason Hounslow
on Nov 7, 2010 at 7:54:28 pm

Hi,
Have updated the firmware, but still experiencing gen-lock loss on some of my cameras, the gen-lock signal looks ok on a scope, but am wondering, if there is a signal cleaner that will clean up the gen-lock ref on the long runs to reduce any noise that might be present. Any Ideas? can i just put in one of of the D/a's that i'm already using, it is a Snell and Wilcox composite video d/a with rollcall, will take a little while before i will know if this works.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 8, 2010 at 10:26:13 am

Hi Jason,
I don't use Genlock since many years, and haven't used since I'm working in digital, but there is something here that, I think, doesn't fit.
A "Tri level sync" work by locking:
- Horizontal
- Vertical-
- Chroma Phase.
Chroma Phase exists only in Analog. In your case, you are mixing full digital signals, so THERE IS NO CHROMA PHASE to sync.
You would need Chroma Phase sync if you would be mixing the composite signal coming from the cameras.
Your cameras need to be locked only in Horizontal and Vertical.
What you mention about noise, I don't think should be any issue.
rafael

Return to posts index

Bruce Rawlings
on Nov 8, 2010 at 2:05:20 pm

Silly suggestion but can you hire a Datavideo or similar mixer that takes non sync sources and makes it possible to cut without any hassle.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 9, 2010 at 5:45:53 pm

[Bruce Rawlings] "Silly suggestion but can you hire a Datavideo or similar mixer that takes non sync sources and makes it possible to cut without any hassle."
Yeap.
Having digital inputs, any system with a frame synchronizer would work with any source, without need of any genlock.
rafael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]