FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best converter for 3 hour VHS to DVD using mac?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Olly Lawer
Best converter for 3 hour VHS to DVD using mac?
on Oct 31, 2010 at 11:47:04 am

Was going to use DVD maker 2, but heard it drops frames and has audio syncing issues.

Never done this before, so in laymans terms, what do I need to do and what software/adapter do I need to burn to dual layer?

Got MacBook with dual layer burner
Final Cut Pro (full edition)
VHS player

Thanks

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Best converter for 3 hour VHS to DVD using mac?
on Oct 31, 2010 at 11:14:41 pm

If you have Final Cut Pro you have DVD Studio Pro. As for getting the VHS into your computer I typically dub RCA or SVideo to DV and then batch capture that.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Olly Lawer
on Nov 1, 2010 at 6:52:12 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but can you explain the process you go through?

Thanks

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Nov 1, 2010 at 9:07:09 pm

Olly, I can try and answer your question with what I do. I play the VHS tape and connect the player to a DV deck, typically one that takes miniDV tape cassettes, or a DVCAM deck such as the Sony DSR 11 or 20. The connection I have to use is usually composite (that's the small jacks, yellow for video, red and white for audio), or, if your VHS player has an svideo output that would be preferable quality wise.

Once I have the DV tape I just ingest the video into my edit system in the normal way. All quite straight forward if you think the process through. If you haven't got the kit any post house will give you a DV copy of your VHS tape.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Les Wilson
on Nov 2, 2010 at 12:43:20 pm

If you have a video camera that you use with your Macbook, then as has been said, dub the VHS to your camera and then capture to your computer as usual. Some cameras allow play-thru and you can then skip the recording on the camera and capture from the camera.

If you do not have a video camera from which you can capture video on your MacBook then dubbing to it as advised above isn't something you can do.

That said, your question was difficult to understand. What you need is a USB video capture device that supports the Macintosh. That totally separate from burning video to a Dual Layer DVD. I see several USB capture devices out there (XLR8, PInnacle....) but I can't offer a recommendation. Hopefully this post will clarify what your question is.

One bit of suggestion tho, if you don't want to edit the video, then don't bother capturing it onto your computer. A DVD recorder is about the same price as these capture devices. You can dub straight from your VHS tape player to a DVD. Going the computer route is much slower.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]