FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to export EX3 footage at top quality

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laura Gamse
How to export EX3 footage at top quality
on Oct 21, 2010 at 6:34:15 am

I shoot in South Africa with an EX3 using PAL 1920x1080 25fps. My editor edited most of my documentary in a 1280x720 timeline by accident, and he has now given it back to me to finish.

I updated to a 1920x1080 sequence and "Conform[ed] to Sequence" but lost all of my keyframes. Is there a way to do this without losing keyframes?

I've read Jeremy Garchow's post, saying,

"Export your movie as File > Export > Quicktime Movie at current settings leaving recompress all frames and make self contained UNchecked.

Bring that movie in to Compressor and make whatever codec you need at 720x404 and in the frame controls set the resize to best.

Jeremy" (http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/8/1093090)

I'm not sure if this makes sense for 1920x1080 footage - why the 720x404 codec? And is this after you conform to media?

I'll be hugely grateful to anyone who can help.

Thanks in advance,
Laura

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: How to export EX3 footage at top quality
on Oct 21, 2010 at 4:06:35 pm

Hi laura,
What are these Key-frames for?
If the key-frames has been set for pannig the 1920x1080 in the 1280x720 sequence, they will be unnecessary in the 10920x1080 sequence.
Do like that:
- Duplicate he 1280x720 sequence.
- Change the sequence size to 1920 x 1080.
- Select the footage on the time-line and left-click> Remove Attributes> Basic Motion + Distort.
No the picture should fill the canvas. You have lost the key-frames for basic motion and distort (if any), but any other key-frame applied (Filters, motion effects) should remain OK.
rafel

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Laura Gamse
on Oct 21, 2010 at 4:54:53 pm

Thanks so much, Rafael! I've lost the motion changes to the non-ex3 footage in the sequence, but the EX3 footage looks great and the filters and fades remain.

Now on to exporting: is there a way to do this through Compressor that maintains the 1080p resolution in the highest quality (for delivery to a post house)? There is no 1080p option in Sequence Settings (only 1080i), which is making me wonder...

Thanks again,
laura

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 21, 2010 at 8:55:30 pm

Hi Laura,
You don't need Compressor.
Set Prores HQ as your sequence codec, set "Render all YUV in High Precision", and export with "Current setting".

[Laura Gamse] "is there a way to do this through Compressor that maintains the 1080p resolution in the highest quality (for delivery to a post house)? There is no 1080p option in Sequence Settings (only 1080i), which is making me wonder..."
Is your footage Progressive (Field Order NONE)?
And what about the footage?
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Laura Gamse
on Oct 23, 2010 at 12:54:35 pm

The majority of the footage is 1080p, but there are archival clips as well that get artifacts when "YUV in High Precision" is checked. The rest of the footage looks great, though. If only you could specify which clips get which render settings.

Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]