FORUMS: list search recent posts

SD video out of BNC?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Mark
SD video out of BNC?
on Oct 19, 2010 at 12:31:05 pm

Is it possible to get SD video out of the BNC connector on an EX1? If so, what do the menu settings need to be for this? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: SD video out of BNC?
on Oct 19, 2010 at 1:26:17 pm

Hi Bob,

Menu-->Video Set-->Y Pb Pr/SDI Out. Set this to 'SD' to get SD-SDI and SD component output. Also make sure that Menu-->Others-->i.LINK I/O is set to 'Disable' as enabling the firewire output disables the SDI output.

Best,

Ian

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Oct 19, 2010 at 2:02:11 pm

Thanks Ian. Much appreciated!

Bob

Bob

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Oct 19, 2010 at 3:28:41 pm

I must have something else set wrong. All I get is bouncing snow. B&W noise. Any suggestions?

Bob

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Oct 19, 2010 at 3:33:16 pm

What format is the camera set to? If it's set for 23.98, does your monitor accept 23.98? In playback of 23.98 the camera output is 60i but depending on the setting of Menu-->Video Set--24p the 'Live' camera head output can be either 24p or 60i. Can you verify this?

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Oct 19, 2010 at 4:19:05 pm

The format is set to 30p NTSC.

Bob

Return to posts index

Klaas van Urk
on Oct 19, 2010 at 4:39:39 pm

The BNC connector gives SD-SDI or HD-SDI signal. If you need an analoge composite signal you should use the analoge out connector hidden behind the grip. There is a cable supplied which has in one side cinch connectors. The cable will hinder your hand on the grip.
An other option is to use a small serial digital encoder like the AJA D4E. It takes SD-SDI input and gives composite or S-video out. I use one when I need a more 'robust' output.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Oct 19, 2010 at 4:42:14 pm

Try resetting the camera from Others-->All reset. Also you might want to try with a different monitor just to be sure. The SD output is 480/60i so you should not need a particularly high end display to get a signal.

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Oct 19, 2010 at 4:50:33 pm

Won't that remove my camera profiles?

Bob

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Oct 19, 2010 at 4:52:25 pm

Yes but you can save them and recall them. Others-->Camera Data-->Store/recall. You'll need a media card in the camera to store the file.

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Oct 19, 2010 at 5:10:24 pm

OK. Tried it. ilink is disabled. Set to output SD and still just snow.

Bob

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 19, 2010 at 5:17:38 pm

Bob, maybe I missed something in this thread but what are you trying to send the signal to?

The standard def output is still Serial Digital (AFAIK) so if you're trying to send to an analog composite BNC input device, you'd probably get snow.

In other words it's SD from an SDI rather than composite even though the connectors look the same.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Oct 19, 2010 at 5:21:05 pm

Are you sure your monitor can accept an SDI signal? Are you feeding the SDI into an analog input? If the port can take SDI it will almost definitely say 'SDI.' If it says 'Video in' it is probably an analog input. If it's not the monitor it may be an issue with the output of the camera.

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Oct 19, 2010 at 5:50:46 pm

Ok. I understand now. The monitor does not have the proper digital input. Thanks guys, I appreciate the time and effort. I will use the CAV out.

Bob

Bob

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]