FORUMS: list search recent posts

ex3 with standard def lens,much more balanced/quality great

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim stamos
ex3 with standard def lens,much more balanced/quality great
on Oct 18, 2010 at 4:28:08 am

has anyone else used their standard def lens on the ex3. when i tried it, it worked well and i thought the footage looked nice. it was extremely close to my footage with the stock lens. the other thing that was nice was the fact that this lens is a 14x and this camera wasnt front heavy in the least . i was able to shoot alot longer on the hafl shoulder mount.
i mainly tried this because i knew the weight would be much more balanced.

Return to posts index

Paul Crowe
Re: ex3 with standard def lens,much more balanced/quality great
on Oct 18, 2010 at 11:08:26 pm

Hmm, this is interesting to hear.

I considered using an Fujinon SD lens from an SD Dvcam camera we had about the place, but was told not to bother because it limits it at the widest end (ie gets vignetting and/or soft edges) and that in general the pictures would be soft - but none of this is your experience?

If not I might need to dig out the lens and take a closer look for myself.

Cheers
Paul.

Return to posts index

jim stamos
on Oct 19, 2010 at 1:38:35 am

paul,
are you using a shoulder brace with yours? are you shooting long periods with the cam as it is on the shoulder. thats the main reason i tried this because the lens is lighter and balances the camera better. the one mount im looking at the exmount.com, isnt cheap and its an overseas company.not to keen on that

Return to posts index

Paul Crowe
on Oct 19, 2010 at 11:13:40 am

I have a cavision mattbox setup with hand grips and a Libec zoom controller located on one of the grips.

I haven't shot for "long" periods of time with the camera on my shoulder (well not without having time in-between shots/set ups). SO at the moment I just rest it against the front of my shoulder. I do have the cavision shoulder rig that hooks onto the tail end of the mbox rails, but to be honest I find it a bit awkward

So I haven't actually nailed a decent set-up for long periods of sustained hand-held use for the EX3.

Cheers
Paul

Return to posts index

christoph Gelfand
on Oct 20, 2010 at 1:09:54 pm

Jim- I actually just got one of the first versions of the EXMount and though it does come from overseas, I can vouch for the timeliness and responsiveness of Mark in making sure that the mount is exactly what you need. It provides the most intuitive, well-balanced solution to shoulder mounting and tripod balancing the EX-3 of any mount yet. As you probably know, other options have been problematic in one way or the other, but I've had a hard time finding many functional flaws in the EXMount. I must admit the price was pretty steep for me as well, but since I believe the camera will be around for a long time, I figured it was a worthwhile investment. The craftsmanship is very solid- it feels like a professional piece of gear and was designed with intelligence. Feel free to drop me a line if you'd like to see pics, etc.

Return to posts index

jim stamos
on Oct 20, 2010 at 3:07:38 pm

hey christoph,
my main question on the exmount is, when you put a battery on the back, in my case i would use the ab dionics, is everything balanced well and does your eye easily match up with the eyepiece as it would on a true shoulder mount. and more importantly can you comfortably shoot as you can with a normal shoulder mount for long periods.
im left eyed and the ex3 works for me but the problem with the other mounts , you have to move it around and adjust your head/eye to make it be comfortable.
how much does it cost?
pics would be great
thanks

Return to posts index

christoph Gelfand
on Oct 20, 2010 at 7:14:01 pm

Jim-

Here's some pics of the mount with an Anton Bauer and two Lectro wireless on it. I believe this provides optimal backweight. Since I received a beta version of the mount, I don't know the final pricing- but I'm sure Mark would be happy to answer your questions on that front.

I find that it feels like a slightly lighter shoulder mount camera- complete with the VCT-14 tripod connection- which I was able to screw my DV6SB plate into and use effortlessly. I think one could keep it well balanced for a long time with the backweight featured in these pics- you can also tweak the EX3 eyepiece to get it a little closer to you...

Return to posts index

Paul Crowe
on Oct 21, 2010 at 9:02:49 am

THis looks pretty cool and I see from the website the system also allows for a matt box set up. Hmm, wonder if it'll allow for the cavision mbox set up.

It'd be great to see some shots with it on someone's shoulder, looking through the eyepiece, because It looks like you'd still have that issue where you sorta get all cramped up and have to crink your neck upwards awkwardly (as in looking skyward(ish) - if you get what I mean) to account for the eyepiece and the shoulder pad being located too close together.

But it's a bit of a catch 22 because if you locate the shoulder pad too far back to create better access to the eyepiece, you'll end up throwing out the balance.

Does any of this making sense to anyone?

Hmm, I guess this is just one if the design trade offs of a smaller camera vs a ENG styled camera.
Although this rig looks like a step in the right direction - one of the better one's I've seen.

Cheers
Paul

Return to posts index

christoph Gelfand
on Oct 21, 2010 at 1:19:34 pm

I will try to upload some pics later, but remember that the shoulder mount actually slides to adjust for your shoulder. It has two locking positions- the one closer to the eyepiece is designed to bring the VCT-14 mount connection into proper formation to mount on a tripod and then you can extend the shoulder piece to the back of the rails to create a longer, more-shoulder mount feel.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]