FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX3 video lagging 1080p25

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aleksander Ødegård
EX3 video lagging 1080p25
on Oct 17, 2010 at 11:09:03 pm

Hi,
I just shot a music video for a friend today.
As with my canon 7D I shot at 1080p25 with a shutter of 1/50, but after importing the clips to final cut there is an obvious "lagging" in the picture, as if there´s no motion blur. I have experienced this once before with the ex3, when shooting 720p50 with the shutter off (by accident). On the other hand, when shooting with these settings on my 7D the result is perfect.
As we only had the studio for one day, there is no chance of re-shooting the scenes.

Is there any way of fixing this in post?

The finished product is only intended for web use through vimeo and youtube, and even though it´s a favor, I want the video to look it´s best.

Any information that helps, is very appreciated!

With best regards,
Aleksander

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: EX3 video lagging 1080p25
on Oct 18, 2010 at 12:58:19 pm

What is "lagging?"
How does a picture "lag?"

Return to posts index

Aleksander Ødegård
on Oct 18, 2010 at 2:31:52 pm

What I mean by "lagging" (probably an expression only used in Norway), is stuttering.
Character movements doesnt go as smooth as it should, similar to shots with too fast shutter speed.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 18, 2010 at 2:43:43 pm

Thanks, Some call that judder or stutter. I think of "lag" as a sync issues such as audio lags behind video.

1080p25 with 1/50 shutter is very standard for reasonable motion. Let's see what might be wrong.
I assume you are using XDCAM EX .mov as wrapped by XDCAM Transfer or Log & Transfer.
I assume you did slow pans rather than fast ones or stationary shots.

Create new sequence.
Drop clip directly in sequence. If it asks you to match clip settings say yes.
Play clip down.
Are you watching on computer monitor or sending to an external monitor?

Return to posts index

Aleksander Ødegård
on Oct 18, 2010 at 4:04:29 pm

- Shot with sony ex3, log and transfer in fcp.
- Stationary shots with the artists "dancing" in front of the camera.
- Sequence matched clip settings.
- Watching on computer monitor, switching between full and half resolution depending on how much effects etc. I add.

Tho, it must be said, after mastering down into an prores sequence, exporting with prores settings and then compressing to vimeo-settings with Mpeg streamclip, the stuttering seems to get better.

You should ble able to see some of the stuttering in this clip:

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 18, 2010 at 4:33:52 pm

The motion looks smooth as silk to me.
I am seeing flickering in the gradient shadow vignette at some points. It was most obvious at approximately 0:53, 3:01, 3:26. 3:48. The people movement was smooth though. Are you seeing something else?

Return to posts index

Aleksander Ødegård
on Oct 18, 2010 at 4:41:36 pm

The flickering is because I simply forgot to check the shutter speed, so it recorded at 1/60th while it should have been 1/100.

I´m confused, because now I dont have any stuttering while watching the clip on vimeo. So I guess I have to go through my fcp and monitor settings once again.

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Oct 19, 2010 at 2:42:29 pm

I have seen some very strange things happen when viewing footage through Final Cut Pro on a computer monitor. This may be the source of your issue.

Cf

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 19, 2010 at 3:12:06 pm

Yes, it's important to view on a "broadcast" monitor or use MXO2 to an HDTV for example. I can imagine issues with display rates and scaling for example when viewing on a computer editing monitor.

Return to posts index

Aleksander Ødegård
on Oct 19, 2010 at 3:52:45 pm

A broadcast monitor and video card with composite is on my wishlist, but not affordable or reasonable with the little amount of editing I do on my computer at the time being.

Thanx for the input!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 19, 2010 at 4:11:56 pm

The low budget solution is:
MXO2mini $449
HDTV 26" for under $300 or a computer monitor with HDMI in.

MXO2 has a great feature that allows you to calibrate the HDTV monitor.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]