FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Way to Reduce EX-1 Gain Noise in Post

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jordan Ledy
Best Way to Reduce EX-1 Gain Noise in Post
on Oct 15, 2010 at 7:21:54 pm

Hi All,

I've read a handful of threads about people complaining about the noise on the EX-1, and I assure you I'm not one of those people!

For the majority of my shoot I filmed with -3db or 0db gain, as I had access to lighting equipment. The graininess of the footage here is very acceptable, if not helpful for the look.

I did however shoot one night on the roof of a parking lot, and I had to bump the gain up to 12db, and sometimes 18db, simply because i had no lighting (this was a very small scale film school project) save a small LED light on the camera. Here most of the well exposed areas look fine, but the blacks are quite noisy as people have described.

Basically i don't mind using the noisiness to my advantage (it is a scene where the protagonist is distraught because he suspects his wife of having an affair), but has anyone found a good way to reduce noise in post without sacrificing too much detail?

I have After Effects, Final Cut Pro, and Avid, so any workflows through these programs you are familiar with that can reduce the gain noise of this footage effectively would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance. Go COW!

-Jordan

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Best Way to Reduce EX-1 Gain Noise in Post
on Oct 15, 2010 at 7:37:41 pm

Maybe Phyx Cleaner. I haven't tried it personally though but I do use their Keyer. Their plugins work inside of Noise Industries FXFactor Pro.
http://www.phyxware.com/NI_Cleaner_01.html

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 15, 2010 at 9:38:34 pm

And try to use less gain in production i.e. carry more lights with you....

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Jordan Ledy
on Oct 15, 2010 at 9:46:44 pm

of course, and that wasn't my question. you don't have to get snarky.

this is a film for USC that will not be allowed to be entered in festivals or exhibited in any format, so i was not going to spend money on a generator and more lights on a film that no one save my class is going to see. I know how to light a set so i don't have to use gain for exposure, and if you had read my question, i was not asking how to lower gain in production, i wanted to know if anyone knows how I can ease it up in post.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Oct 16, 2010 at 10:57:58 am

Jordan, I fully appreciate your position, actually I try and avoid using lights anyway, God's light does me for most of the time. Personally I hardly ever have a noise problem with the EX1 but there is a very good software programme that helps, that's Innobits Purifier. I use it in conjunction with their wonderful DVD encoder, BitVice, but it is an application in its own right. Look it up, well worth a shot.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
WARNING with VideoPurifier
on Oct 16, 2010 at 12:19:03 pm

Video Purifier is NOT an option, in fact is the most dangerous piece of software in the market.
It works in 8b RGB, so it will clips any value over 100%.
Simply a no professional solution.
If you want a good denoiser, NetVideo is the only one that really works on Mac.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Bob Pierce
Re: WARNING with VideoPurifier
on Oct 16, 2010 at 1:01:40 pm

I second Rafael's recommendation. Neat Video's reduce noise plug in is absolutely amazing.
Bob

http://www.lightstreamassociates.com

Mac Pro 2.66 - 8GB memory -
Mac Book Pro 2.33 Duo -
FC Studio 2 - Kona Lhe
Adobe Production Suite CS4 -
Sony Multiformat 14" - Panasonic 42" Plasma -
Ikegami HLDV7 - PVW EX-1

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Oct 16, 2010 at 5:46:44 pm

Rafael, I use it in conjunction with BitVice when encoding a .mov exported from an HD timeline in Media 100 and it's brilliant. Only set at a small number mind you and maybe it suits the Media 100 colour space which is different from most other edit systems.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 17, 2010 at 11:58:12 am

Hi Michael,
With BitVice is OK, because if Purifier doesn´t make the clipping, the MPEG-2 converssion will do it anyway: No room for Superwhites in MPEG-2.
However this application is areal scam. It shouldn´t be call VIDEO Purifier. Its valid only for 8b RGB stuff.
If anybody wants to know whats going on with Purifier and how Innobits treat the customers, you can have a look to a thread of mine in the Innobits forum.
However, I use BitVice for the MPEG-2 compression. Is a very good application.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]