FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting XDCAM EX 1080i30 to 1080p30

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Campbell
Converting XDCAM EX 1080i30 to 1080p30
on Oct 15, 2010 at 12:31:29 am

Hi,

I'm on a project where the producers got a linecut from a Tricaster system in 1080i30, but the four EX-1's recorded 1080p30 (I don't know why the Tricaster couldn't output in 1080p, but it couldn't).

The footage is of 15 stand-up comedians each doing one-hour shows.

My job is to smooth out the cuts from camera to camera (staying on one camera an extra second or two, or cutting earlier by a half-second, etc.).

I would like to keep the line cut at the "base" file, and then lay the individual camera files on top (synced up, of course). However, every time I make a change, I've got to re-render the footage, and even with my RAID, that's taking forever.

Can I upconvert the 1080i linecut footage to 1080p without having problems down the road?

Eventual destinations are standard-def DVD and TV.

Thanks,

Robert

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: Converting XDCAM EX 1080i30 to 1080p30
on Oct 15, 2010 at 2:33:36 am

Do you mean 1080 60i???

I would hope all these cameras have the same timecode. If not you will need to multiclip edit and find a sync point somehow. The line cut is in most cases just a reference.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Converting XDCAM EX 1080i30 to 1080p30
on Oct 15, 2010 at 2:52:11 am

[Robert Campbell] "got a linecut from a Tricaster system in 1080i30, but the four EX-1's recorded 1080p30 (I don't know why the Tricaster couldn't output in 1080p, but it couldn't)."

I actually was talking to a Tricaster VAR today. It records 1080i it certainly has limitations.

[Robert Campbell] "I would like to keep the line cut at the "base" file, "

Using what edit system? Video Toaster? Something else?

[Robert Campbell] "Can I upconvert the 1080i linecut footage to 1080p without having problems down the road?"

Deinterlace and possibly make sure everything is in the same codec but how you do that may depend on NLE.

Personally I doubt the Tricaster recording will be a quality match to the EX cameras. What codec did Tricaster record in?

If Tricaster were able to create an EDL with source matching timecode (and I don't know if it can do this), you'd be able to recreate the edit very quickly and clean up the edits.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]