FORUMS: list search recent posts

files won't transfer

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Corey Maynard
files won't transfer
on Oct 10, 2010 at 10:25:58 pm

My tale of wo begins when i hire in an EX1 to film a theatrical performance, it's a long piece with an intermission, i therefore hire an external drive that plugs into one of the card slots.
Everything runs smoothly until post intermission, i've put a card into the spare slot and the camera has jumped over to the card, there's only 5 mins of space on it as it was used for a previous job, no problem i think, the card jumps back over to the drive after 5 mins and i continue filming for the rest of the job.

Problems begin when I try to transfer all this footage, everything pre the intermission is fine but everything after the jump post intermission will not transfer, we get an error code.

No one can fix this! Its been back at the hire shop for 3 weeks and they can't do it, it's about to go back to Sony as a last gasp attempt to sort it out.

The biggest frustration is you can see the footage in the log and transfer window even play it, at this stage I would be happy to get anything even using one of those screen record apps, so i can play and record the screen.

My question fundamentally tho is what kind of responsibility does a hire house have? This is a good client of mine and may fundamentally mess up my relationship with them if I cant deliver?
Should I expect some sort of renumeration for something that's cleary not my fault and is a Sony issue?

Any thoughts appreciated

Corey Maynard
Sydney Oz

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: files won't transfer
on Oct 10, 2010 at 10:35:18 pm

I can only speak to the workflow but this is 20/20 hindsight for you now.

I don't know how long the show was but two 32GB cards would give you close to 4 hours of recording. I do not trust hard drives attached to cameras.

You first copy with ClipBrowser (with CRC on). This way all your files are in one place. Then you can use XDCAM Transfer (which I'd use instead of Log & Transfer) so it will wrap the split/spanned files into MOV files.

You don't mention what the error message is. That is critical to knowing what is wrong.

These people specialize in XDCAM EX file recovery.
http://www.aeroquartet.com/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]