FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems batch importing EX material to Sony Vegas

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
charles martin
Problems batch importing EX material to Sony Vegas
on Oct 10, 2010 at 1:54:59 pm

I am editing XDCAM EX material in Vegas pro 9. Trying to figure out how to 'batch' import the EX files. All the files have been transfered to hardrive and i want to now import to a Vegas project.
When I use 'import media' setting and navigate to the appropriate hardrive where the EX files are store and 'select' as many files as i want to import...then click...only 'one' mp4 file pops up..i.e. no matter how many files i select it will only allow me to 'import' one at a time.
I thought i had a workaround in using 'device explorer'...this allowed me to batch import all the files to Vegas but i discovered that it also created whole new copies of the video/files and even created a folder for it called 'imported media'.
clearly ...if i have 50gb worth of EX video material stored on my internal hardrive in a folder and then i use 'device explorer' to import i get another 50gb of material on my hardrive....which i obviously don't want.
Anyone figured out a way to 'import' the video to Vegas without creating duplicates?

Return to posts index

Jay Gladwell
Re: Problems batch importing EX material to Sony Vegas
on Oct 11, 2010 at 8:34:08 pm

It works for me.

Why not post your question on Sony Creative Software's Vegas forum?

Return to posts index

charles martin
on Oct 12, 2010 at 9:41:11 am

...i've posted on the Vegas forum also. I've learned that the only option for 'batch'importing from a hardrive is to use 'device explorer'...which will create duplicates to work from.
Now that I know this i will adjust slightly my workflow.
when you say---'works for me'... do you mean that is what you do?
Or have you found a way to use 'import media' to do a batch import of your EX material from an External or Internal hardrive...??

Return to posts index

Jay Gladwell
on Oct 12, 2010 at 12:55:02 pm

First, I copy the entire BPAV file to a hard drive in a named project folder.

From there, using Clip Browser, I "import" MXF files into a specific sub-folder for the given project.

I open Vegas, and using "Import Media", go the media sub-folder, select the multiple media (MXF) files I want in the project by holding down the "Ctrl" key while selecting the files with the mouse. Then I click on "Open" and it brings the multiple files into the "Project Media" window in Vegas.

Return to posts index

charles martin
on Oct 17, 2010 at 11:31:15 am

I think I understand what you are doing now...apologies if I didn't get it the first time.
So it sounds to me like you are 'converting' the EX material into MXF format ? in other words you are actually using clipbrowser to do the convert...so you select all the files using clipbrowser then you 'export' to MXF for NLE's.... once you've created your folder of MXF's you then use Vegas to 'import' those MXF's and Vegas then uses that folder to edit from....
It makes sense. But it does fly in the face of Sony/Vegas' claim that Vegas will edit EX material natively...doesn't it?
What I am doing at the moment is slightly different....I copy all the EX material for a project ..i.e the bpav's ...to a separate hardrive...but rather than use clibrowser to 'convert' the files to mxf...I am using Vegas''device explorer' to 'import' and do the 'conversion' at the same time. you can tell device explorer where to save these converted files which Vegas then will edit from.
As someone on the Vegas forum explained...it is logical that Sony/Vegas would take original files and 'convert'/duplicate' them so that you aren't risking corruption of your original. Unfortunately---this 'logic' doesn't work for me. If i've already created duplicates of all the material I have shot then I want to use one of THOSE folders to edit from without having to convert it. You CAN use 'import media' on Vegas to import a file from one of those saved folders....but only ONE file at a time...there does not seem to be a way to 'batch import' the files using the 'import media' function and in my book it is something that needs to be addressed.
It appears as though Sony thinks people shoot material and at the end of the day dump all of it straight from the cards into Vegas...in that case...no problem and nice that Vegas does the conversion. But I would never work that way unless I was doing a fast turnaround on an edit....and I rarely do that. The normal way I ..and I suspect many others...operate is to dump/copy material and make duplicates of the BPAV's on two different hardrives at the end of each day....Then....when you're done the project and you are ready to edit you use one of those folders to edit from...the only way i can see to work using that system...is to use Device Explorer to do the import (which again...creates a whole other set of duplicates which you don't need because you already have a backup copy) or ..you do what you are doing and you use Clipbrowser to convert to MXf's then have Vegas work from those.... either way...for me anyway--there is an extra step in time---(either of those scenarios involves time to convert) and it could be avoided if Vegas had a feature to allow batch import of media using 'import media' feature. This way you could use one of the hardrives that you have copied with the BPAV's.

Return to posts index

Hannu Hoffrén
on Mar 4, 2011 at 2:44:02 pm

I have the same workflow with the Sony camera media and this is what I do:
- Find the media root in the Windows Explorer
- Write *.mp4 in the search box
- Select all files found and drag & drop them to Sony Vegas

Cheers,
- Hannu
http://www.fxgrill.com

Return to posts index