FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM Transfer only shows proxies

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Walsh
XDCAM Transfer only shows proxies
on Oct 8, 2010 at 4:23:53 pm

First XDCAM project. Apologies if I'm posting in wrong forum - I didn't see an XDCAM format forum.

The director sent me a hard drive with the contents of his shoot (aporox. 100 sequentially numbered folders with various .MXF and .XML files). Takes are short (around 1 min each) so files are relatively small.

Tried using XDCAM transfer to re-wrap for Final Cut, XDCAM transfer only sees low-res proxies in the folders. There are larger MXF files (300 MB or so), which I'm assuming are the high-res files, but software doesn't see them.

Alternatively tried to bring files into Avid Media Composer directly. Import failed, AMA volume failed, AMA file import brought a clip into the bin, but clicking or playing back crashes Media Composer.

Either I'm missing something basic or something happened when the XDCAM disc was copied to the hard drive. Any suggestions or third-party tools that might help?

Chris Walsh

Silver Spring, MD
Final Cut & AVID MC5
Former Windows User and edit* lover

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: XDCAM Transfer only shows proxies
on Oct 8, 2010 at 5:38:32 pm

Hi Chris,

XDCAM Transfer shows proxies but when you select files for import it pulls in the hi-res version of the selected clip.

Do you have disc images that follow the XDCAM directory structure or just loose MXFs/XMLs?

The Proxies have the same names as the fuill res but with an S (for 'substream') added. If you isolate all the hi-res MXFs in their own folder and add that folder as a source in Transfer it should see them.

Also make sure you are using the latest version of Transfer, v 2.12.

If I'm off the mark please give some more info and hopefully we can sort it out.

Best,

Ian

Ian Cook
Sony Broadcast and Professional Company

Return to posts index

Chris Walsh
on Oct 8, 2010 at 6:25:15 pm

Thanks Ian -- I'm using 2.12 via the sony site. The imported files are still proxy size and res (352x240). That's what tipped me off - I imported everything last night, and was surprised how quickly it went (especially vs P2 cards). Once I had them in Final Cut, I saw why it was so fast -- they're all proxy size.

Maybe I need to change my import settings, but I couldn't find those controls.

All the media resides in what look like XDCAM created folders (C001, C002, etc thru C100). Each folder has mxf, xml, smi, ppn, and bim files. I've never seen a live XDCAM disk, so I don't know if there should be root level info outside these folder (there isn't any).

I've googled a bit, but haven't found a description of the XDCAM file structure -- would love to know how everything should look.

Chris Walsh

Silver Spring, MD
Final Cut & AVID MC5

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Oct 8, 2010 at 7:01:01 pm

You should not be seeing the metadata (PPN and BIM) files. I think I have an idea of what's wrong. Do you see multiple audio files for each full res MXF, i.e. C0001A1, C0002A2?

A normal XD disc directory structure has 5-6 folders on the root (depending on the firmware level of the recording device):

/Clip (Hi res MXF files with associated XML files)
/Sub (Proxies)
/Edit (Edit lists created on the device or using our PDZ1 software)
/Component (voice over audio-only MXFs, when applicable)*
/User Data (generic storage)*
/General (generic storage)

*You may or may not see 'User Data' and 'Component' but you will always see Clip, Sub, Edit and General.

CLIP and SUB will always have material on a disc with recordings; the other folders will be empty if the features that utilize them are not used.

Please let me know re the above audio question or just post a screen shot of the root folder.

Thx

Return to posts index

Chris Walsh
on Oct 8, 2010 at 7:23:36 pm

You're right, none of the root master directories are in place, each folder has eight separate audio .mxf files (labelled as you suggest).

I'm assuming that the data in some of those other folders is necessary to put Humpty Dumpty together again.

Can't post a screen shot, since my Cow login is brand new and moderated.

Chris Walsh

Silver Spring, MD
Final Cut & AVID MC5

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Oct 8, 2010 at 7:35:33 pm

No need for the screen shot, since I know what the situation is now.

Have them install this driver and recopy the whole disc or at least the /CLIP directory and you'll be good to go.

https://www.servicesplus.sel.sony.com/sony-software-model-PDWU1.aspx

Return to posts index

Chris Walsh
on Oct 8, 2010 at 7:00:51 pm

There must be something wrong with way the files were transferred. Even Sony Vegas refused to bring in the full-res file (both from a folder, and then a solo copy). It was happy to bring in the proxy.

I don't know what's wrong with the full-res mxf files, but I'm going to try to get the original disc sent to me.

Chris Walsh

Silver Spring, MD
Final Cut & AVID MC5

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Oct 8, 2010 at 7:21:26 pm

Here is my guess. Forgive me if it's a bit wonky and technical..

Short Answer: files were not copied properly

Long Answer: If you connect certain XDCAM devices without the appropriate driver installed you see the 'raw' un-combined video and audio MXFs. This usually happens on Macs because even without the correct driver, our FCP import plug-in can make sense of the files and import them correctly. So alot of FCP users don't even realize they need a driver in the first place. But if you make an OS (drag and drop etc) copy of the files in this format, you end up with something unusable. No editor, even MXF native ones like Avid, can import these files.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 8, 2010 at 7:31:29 pm

[Ian Cook] "But if you make an OS (drag and drop etc) copy of the files in this format, you end up with something unusable."

Sony really needs to emphasize this in all its documentation. I've seen countless tutorials online (not from Sony) for XDCAM and XDCAM EX showing people just doing drag and drop. BTW this is even more egregious with EX as there's often no optical disc master to fall back to from a bad copy and I don't doubt the bad habit will extend to people using the PMW-500 as they start recording MXF to SxS cards.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Oct 8, 2010 at 7:39:07 pm

I hear you, but in this instance the problem wasn't that they did a drag and drop copy but that they didn't have their hardware set up properly. The documentation for the PDW-U1 is pretty clear on the need to install the software. Also this is only an issue with the PDW-U1 drive unit because it's a USB device and the driver is responsible for doing all the multiplexing/combining/virtualizing/etc that is handled by internal software on the camcorders and decks.

Return to posts index

Chris Walsh
on Oct 8, 2010 at 7:31:40 pm

Thanks - I like both versions. I'll explain to the director (he was concerned that he had not copied the files properly), and I'll get the disc sent to me.

Chris Walsh

Silver Spring, MD
Final Cut & AVID MC5

Return to posts index

Daniel Wright
on Oct 9, 2010 at 10:12:24 pm

Sorry to be late to the party.

As Ian says, the files you have will be unusable in Vegas, for example, but I believe XDCAM Transfer should be able to stitch these files back together provided you have *all* the files and they reside in a directory structure that *exactly* replicates a disc.

So, if you are still waiting for the original discs or replacement copies, you could try recreating the structure below, and add the 'My_Disc' (or whatever you want to call it) folder to XDCAM Transfer. You need a folder containing a folder called PROAV which contains all the files you were given, I suspect.

/My_Disc
----/PROAV
--------/index.xml
--------/CLPR
--------/Sub

If you need the reconstituted MXF files, XDCAM Transfer has an option in the clip's context menu to copy clips to file. The resulting file is a single MXF file created from all the components that Ian mentions.

HTH

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]