FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM alternatives

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Allby Corry
XDCAM alternatives
on Oct 7, 2010 at 4:34:05 pm

Hi,

After years sending TV commercials in Betacam SP and Digibeta, now by request of the stations I need send them in XDCAM (HD and SD).

I'm looking for a low cost solution for recording the XDCAM discs from the finished material edited using Premiere CS5.

I read about the Disc Drive Sony PDW-U1. Is this the only low cost alternative?

Regards,
Allby

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: XDCAM alternatives
on Oct 7, 2010 at 4:40:12 pm

Is there a reason at all you're still using physical media?
I think you should be using DGFastchannel and ExtremeReach. Delivering MPEG-2 Program or Transport streams. Extreme Reach will even accept AppleProRes.

Return to posts index

Allby Corry
on Oct 7, 2010 at 5:02:48 pm

I have sent in mpeg 2 but unfortunately it is a requirement for some other stations.

Allby

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 7, 2010 at 5:38:38 pm

Honestly I can imagine any station in the USA not covered by either DG or ExtremeReach. You often have to simply ask whether they accept either. They may not tell you that upfront. That's been my experience. I haven't delivered physical media for a 30 second spot since 2006.

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Oct 7, 2010 at 5:46:11 pm

Craig,

I just had to go through hoops laying off four sets of eight campaign commercials for a rural area in Northern California for cable head end playout. They all still have Beta Cart machines to auto play their commercials. I believe this is still very common especially in the cable world. I think there is a similar system that Sony makes for XDCAM. It's like a jukebox and any broadcaster or cablecaster that has not gone with actual servers is still using one or another of these systems.

JS

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 7, 2010 at 5:54:48 pm

DG will output the file you send them to Beta for such stations. I believe ExtremeReach does the same.

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Oct 7, 2010 at 4:44:29 pm

Allby,

In a word - yes!

The PDW-U1 is a very capable reader/writer for both XDCAM and data onto 23Gb and 50Gb XDCAM discs. Sony however has just introduced four-layer discs and will show products (presumably new reader/writers and recorder/players) that will handle legacy and new versions. the 128Gb XDCAM disc to come is intended mainly for archival purposes, so it may not matter to you. In the mean time, you should be glad that they offer a product for under $3000 that will allow you to satisfy your client's needs. It's probably cheaper than overhauling a Beta SP edit deck!

JS

Return to posts index

Allby Corry
on Oct 7, 2010 at 4:56:44 pm

Thank you John.

Allby

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Oct 7, 2010 at 6:14:37 pm

Rent a PDW-U1. 95.00 per day if it a one time need.

Return to posts index

Allby Corry
on Oct 7, 2010 at 8:18:48 pm

Good idea.

Thanks Bob.

Allby

Return to posts index

Tim Schick
on Oct 12, 2010 at 7:12:07 pm

I guess the cheapest alternative is to use the camera as your deck and record back to it, but the U1's are the best low cost alternative ($2k) we've found; even comes free with an EX3 purchase. Only down fall to them is their USB slow speeds... Still better than the $12500 1500xdcam deck.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]