FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1r Download to Imovie HD?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Ransom
EX1r Download to Imovie HD?
on Oct 6, 2010 at 4:26:27 pm

Anyone ever tried downloading EX1r files to Imovie HD? I want to produce low res DVD of material shot with EX1 but don't have FCP or similar. Work around?

SR

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: EX1r Download to Imovie HD?
on Oct 6, 2010 at 4:36:31 pm

Just a hunch but there's a CalibratedSoftware plugin to use EX files on non FCP systems. You might download the trial and see if it works. The plugin is about $90. The workflow might involve some experimentation so let me know if you're interesting in going that route.

Of course if you shoot with the EX1r in HDV or even DV mode you may not have to go through the above.

If you own or plan on working regularly with the EX cameras I'd recommend you get Final Cut Studio (unless you prefer Adobe Production Suite / Premiere Pro).

Return to posts index

Scott Ransom
on Oct 6, 2010 at 8:55:14 pm

Craig
Grateful for your advice. I will try Calibrated Software in the short term and see what I can learn. My resistance to buying and owning FCP in any form is that I am not an editor.....and work with wonderful editors of my serious projects. Don't want to get sucked in.

BUT....it seems every time I turn around....I find myself needing FCP to live in the new digital world.

I will let you know what I learn

SR

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 6, 2010 at 9:03:04 pm

I can see full Final Cut Studio being a significant investment.

See this
http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/MP4EXImport_Mac.asp

Also works without Final Cut Pro
If you don't have Final Cut Pro - don't worry! You can still view supported MP4 Files within QuickTime Player 7 when used in conjunction with Calibrated{Q} XD Decode for OSX.

So it seems you may need this as well
http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/QXD.asp

I'm not absolutely sure iMovie works with such plugins as Apple broke compatibility with Quicktime components in versions of iMovie after 06.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 6, 2010 at 11:32:43 pm

Yep you should get FCP if you're working at the EX1 level of camera...

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Oct 7, 2010 at 10:03:11 am

Gentlemen, not one of you has mentioned the best editing software of them all, Media 100. Now that Boris has taken them forward in the last couple of years it is the best. Intuitive to use, reliable, ideal for anyone who has edited film and (now) technically advanced. Final Cut I know is the 'in thing' but far more complicated (unnecessarily so IMH opinion) and with a steep learning curve. Used it since 1996 and never regretted my choice.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Oct 7, 2010 at 1:10:37 pm

The "best editing software of them all"?

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Oct 7, 2010 at 1:35:15 pm

Well, maybe I'm a bit over the top but Media 100 does get rather ignored amidst all the hype concerning FCP. Sensible, intuitive workflow with out having to go into different menus at every stage and great performance, yes, as far as I'm concerned, the best.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]