FORUMS: list search recent posts

PAL in american sold PMW-EX1r

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mikkel Ørstedholm
PAL in american sold PMW-EX1r
on Oct 6, 2010 at 3:53:32 pm

I´m thinking about buying a PMW-EX1r from B&H (price almost 50% compared to in my country). Apparently, when you buy the camera in Europe you can choose between both NTSC and PAL "in camera". I have trouble finding out whether the same thing goes for the camera that´s sold in the states. Some say yes, some say no. The no-sayers say that the american version is blocked from PAL, but in the manual there is a PAL-setting. I haven´t asked anyone who owns an american version.

Does any of you guys have an american sold PMW-EX1r and have time to check wether you can put the camera in PAL-mode?

I need to place an order before next week so I hugely appreciate a fast response. Anyone?

Kind regards, Mikkel

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: PAL in american sold PMW-EX1r
on Oct 6, 2010 at 4:33:49 pm

Hi Mikkel,
I've never heard of any "restricted" EX-1.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 6, 2010 at 4:37:54 pm

The "default" setting might be different but as far as I know there's a menu option to change the system. That's how my NTSC EX1 works. I can set it to PAL compatible frame rates quite easily.

Return to posts index

Mikkel Ørstedholm
on Oct 6, 2010 at 4:45:48 pm

Hi Craig;

Thanks for your fast reply! Is your EX1r bought in the US?

If so, and if you CAN switch between NTSC and PAL, that settles the matter for me.

Kind regards, Mikkel

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 6, 2010 at 5:07:30 pm

I have EX1 (older model) and I can certainly switch between NTSC and PAL just as described by B&H.

Return to posts index

Mikkel Ørstedholm
on Oct 6, 2010 at 4:43:15 pm

Hi Rafael;

I´ve talked to both the Swedish and the Danish Sony Headoffice, and they both claim that the EX1r sold in the US is not switchable, but the european version is. I realize that they have apparent reasons so say this, of course they want me to buy from their branch of Sony, the european. But still, the price is almost double.

Do you own a EX1r yourself that is purchased in the US?

Kind regards, Mikkel

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 6, 2010 at 4:50:00 pm

From B&H describing the US model

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/656719-REG/Sony_PMW_EX1R_PMW_EX1R_XDC...

Multiple-format Recording
The PMW-EX1R offers a wide array of recording formats for multiple content creation applications. In HD mode, scanning is switchable between 1920 x 1080, 1280 x 720, and 1440 x 1080 resolutions. Frame rate is also selectable from interlace and progressive: 59.94i, 50i, 29.97P, 25P, and native 23.98P.*
In addition, 59.94P and 50P progressive recording is available in 1280 x 720 mode. In SD mode, both 50/60i and 25P/30P modes are supported.
*In 1440 x 1080 and 1920 x 1080 modes, 23.98P images are handled as 23.98P and recorded as 59.94i signals through means of 2-3 pulldown.

Underlines added for emphasis. I am truly surprised that Sony reps would be dishonest. Granted they want you to buy local but it would be better to emphasize that than to misinform customers. Of course maybe B&H is wrong but unless something changed about the EX1r, the EX1 also supports all PAL compatible frame rates and settings.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 7, 2010 at 12:58:51 am

Hi Mikkel,
No, I have an old EX-1 bought in Singapore.
If they were two different EX-1r, they would have different names, and really, since this forum is open we haven't heard of that.
I think that the SONY people just want to sell you a camera.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Oct 6, 2010 at 6:18:41 pm

Hi Mikkel,

I've just responded to your email.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

keith greenfield
Re: PAL in american sold PMW-EX1r Caution
on Oct 7, 2010 at 10:25:10 am

Hi all, i have a EX1R, it was purchased in the UK, serial number 200264. I use it both for PAL and NTSC content. My major customer is U.S. based and they are delighted with the results. So, yes it can shoot NTSC and PAL. One word of caution before purchase, have the vendor check the firmware revision number, have them update if required. I did not check and got a camera that had not been updated. Now an additional caution, make sure Sony perform this, its a pain i know. I returned mine to a Sony base here in the UK three weeks ago, !!! I have now have been informed that they have had 'little problem' but they do have some 'special' equipment that can fix it. I feel very lucky I did not attempt the upgrade myself. You have been warned.
By the way, if any of you guys over that side 'of big shinning water' need any 'Brit' footage in NTSC please don't hesitate to let me know. The BPAV folders travel just fine over my ftp.
Best regards
Keith
for http://www.bit4bit.co.uk

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Oct 8, 2010 at 10:48:30 am

Keith, no need to send the camera to Sony for firmware upgrade if you have a really good supplier. I have twice had successful upgrades done in minutes by a Sony trained engineer at my suppliers.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

keith greenfield
on Oct 11, 2010 at 8:13:17 am

Hi Michael, regarding having the supplier sort the firmware upgrade...well kinda did this. I handed over the camera to my supplier and requested they pass to Sony. Four weeks now, supplier not responding so..its going to be legal action I guess. Just how long can they hang on to my gear? Is it Sony or is it the supplier?
best regards
Keith

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 11, 2010 at 3:02:55 pm

My experience is Sony won't let anyone do the firmware upgrade as warranty service even if they are generally a Sony Pro authorized. My own supplier told me this and recommended I send the camera to Sony.

Sony told me the turnaround is roughly 8 business days (not including time in transit).

Return to posts index

keith greenfield
on Oct 11, 2010 at 4:22:47 pm

Well Craig, quite right. Send to Sony.
I handed the camera over to my dealer and requested they send to Sony. Which they have assured me they did. It was after three weeks the dealer informed me that Sony has had a 'little problem' but can sort it.
Now its four weeks and I am getting suspicious...I wonder if the dealer had a go and toasted the camera? Hmm.! I have made two requests that the dealer supply the address of the Sony base and also the job number, no response. Getting more suspicious. I am checking on the serial number for the camera to see if it is a'grey import' not sure if you have that problem over there. We in the UK have to be careful that the dealer is not sourcing the goods from another European country or direct from Japan. If it is a 'grey import' and the dealer is up to no good then Sony will not honor the warranty, which is now why I am thinking the dealer has tried a bit of DIY.
I am a member of a pro organisation and am handing this to the legal department tomorrow...watch this space. Sony don't behave like this do they? do they?
best regards
Keith

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 11, 2010 at 4:29:46 pm

Interesting background. If you have the warranty that came in the box with the camera you should check that. Also the box itself can indicate who (the dealer) it was shipped to. If you weren't sold the camera in the Sony box I'd be suspicious.

I've heard of two types of responses to failed firmware upgrades. One is approximately $3000 to replace the processor (and motherboard I assume) and the other is a bit over $300 if it goes back to Japan as they alone apparently have the tools to rescue the processor.

My own dealer was forthright in saying I should send the camera directly to Sony for firmware upgrade.
There are very few Sony service centers so you can call them directly and give them the serial number and they'll tell you whether it's in and its status. If the service center in your country says they don't have it then you have clear evidence.

Return to posts index

keith greenfield
on Oct 11, 2010 at 5:51:00 pm

Hi Craig...checking box now...has an 'E' logo...so far so good. I am attending a trade show here in the UK tomorrow so will corner Sony with the info and get a definitive answer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]