FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX-3 Starting & Stopping Recording with 35mm Lens Mounted -

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Dekle
EX-3 Starting & Stopping Recording with 35mm Lens Mounted -
on Oct 5, 2010 at 11:48:52 pm

I just got this system and have mounted a Nikon 180mm on it with an adapter. My question is, how do you guys record and stop when you don't have the handgrig on the lens? I've got a VariZoom but no place to plug it in?

The Sony system is brand new to me and I'm wondering how you deal with that when shooting on a tripod. So far, it looks like using the record buttons on the top or assignable keys.... awkward at best.

Yea, I'm new enough to this to be missing something really obvious...

Regards,

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: EX-3 Starting & Stopping Recording with 35mm Lens Mounted -
on Oct 6, 2010 at 6:35:59 pm

I don't think you're missing anything obvious at all. Why not contact companies like Letus and ask them what they recommend? As far as I know if you take away the lens then what's left is the record button on the top handle. Or an assignable button. However which way you slice it, you're still going to have to touch the camera.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

James Dekle
on Oct 6, 2010 at 8:13:55 pm

Thanks for the ideas Don, I'll will try those ideas.

Only two solutions I've run into are the wildly expensive Sony Remote Controllers and your solution of using an assignable button. I'll use #3 for it and hope someone out there has a solution that uses the remote plug....

One has to wonder why would you build a plug that you need a $2500 controller to use? Seems like one that would control the lens like the plug on the lens would make more sense...

Return to posts index

Andy Winters
on Nov 11, 2010 at 4:47:03 am

The remote control is always an option.

Return to posts index

James Dekle
on Nov 11, 2010 at 12:24:41 pm

As a followup to my thread, the ideas everyone has given me are much appreciated. After a lot of digging, I've learned there is an answer besides the record button or an assigned button and the remote.

That is to pay about $2000 for an electronic camera controller that lets you basically run and set everything remotely, like from a jib.

Sure seems like having that bit of electronics on the lens moved to the body somewhere so you can plug in a simple controller would make more sense for 95% of the users.

My solution after a lot of looking was to take everyone's advice and just assign the record button to an assignable button. Not great since I feel like a piano player running this but at least it's workable.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]