FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1r Firmware Upgrade/Any Problems

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Ransom
EX1r Firmware Upgrade/Any Problems
on Oct 5, 2010 at 4:48:59 pm

Getting set to upgrade firmware for SonyEX1r. Anyone had any problems with the process? I hear camera turns on faster with upgrade?

SR

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
Re: EX1r Firmware Upgrade/Any Problems
on Oct 5, 2010 at 6:35:52 pm

I am getting ready to do it with 3 cameras so I would like to hear also. Just had the first of three delivered today with version 1.1.1 but have not had a chance to use it. I will let you know if it is any different. Of course, I have not had any problems with the old version.

Return to posts index

Scott Ransom
on Oct 5, 2010 at 8:17:31 pm

Bob Look forward to hearing what you learn. Do I understand that you have 3 EX1r's...or is it 6? Isn't the 1.1.1 the latest firmware after all?

What,may I ask ,do you do with all those cameras?

All best
Scott Ransom

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Oct 5, 2010 at 9:21:45 pm

I have 3 that are about 3 months old with 1.0 that I am in the process of upgrading and I am getting 3 more, one of which was delivered today with 1.1.1. I am most interested in how they work with SDHC cards and adapters although I have not had a problem yet. I love the cameras. The picture quality is amazing for the price. I am especially happy with the quality of the still frames I can get.

I do Product Research Testing for a major retail goods company. We record about 6 hours a day of consumer test footage. I back up all of my BPAV files to hard drive and then use Final Cut Server to store and distribute the footage to my Product Researchers. So far so good although it has only been a few months.

Return to posts index

Scott Ransom
on Oct 6, 2010 at 2:43:28 pm

Bob
Thanks for the information. Please let me know what differences you note between the new 1.1.1 camera and your older 1.0 cameras. I am on the fence as to whether to make the download. Everything I have done with mine (without upgrade) has worked very well.

I use Transcend Class 6 cards.....and efilms...MxR adapters. Everything works great including 60fps.

Thanks again
SR

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Oct 6, 2010 at 2:54:07 pm

See...my feeling is that everything works...until it doesn't. And then I would feel negligent that I didn't have the latest firmware. I am trying to get Sony to come here and do it so that I don't have to be without cameras for a long period of time. My dealer will provide me with one loaner at a time but it is still a pain.

Return to posts index

Scott Ransom
on Oct 6, 2010 at 2:57:39 pm

Having Sony do it by far the best option....so good luck to you. Should be the solution with the least possibility of something going wrong.

Please let me know what benefits you feel you get from the new fimware....over the old one.

ThanksSR

Return to posts index

keith greenfield
Re: EX1r Firmware Upgrade/Any Problems OH yes indeed.
on Oct 7, 2010 at 10:30:10 am

HOLD ON proceed with caution, I have just seen this post.

Firmware update: make sure Sony perform this, its a pain i know. I returned mine to a Sony base here in the UK three weeks ago, !!! I have now have been informed that they have had 'little problem' but they do have some 'special' equipment that can fix it. I feel very lucky I did not attempt the upgrade myself. You have been warned.

Return to posts index

Scott Ransom
Re: EX1r Firmware Upgrade/Any Problems OH yes indeed.
on Oct 7, 2010 at 2:30:56 pm

Keith
Thanks for your caution. Yours is the first negative I have heard regarding the upgrade in firmware with the EX1r. There are many sad tales of upgrades being tried with the EX3 (including almost complete destruction of the camera's inner workings) but yours is the first to mention a problem with the EX1r upgrade. If Sony is having a "little problem"....I can imagine what a tech challenged person like me might do in the situation,.

I'm grateful to you for getting back to us on the subject.

All the best
SR

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]