FORUMS: list search recent posts

New XDCAM Browser

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay Gladwell
New XDCAM Browser
on Oct 4, 2010 at 2:12:44 pm

From what I've gathered, this will be a cross between the XDCAM EX Clipbrowser and the XDCAM Viewer, is this correct?

Just where would one expect to find the new browser/viewer when it is made available? I've not been able to find anything online, other than here, about this new browser/viewer.

TIA

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: New XDCAM Browser
on Oct 4, 2010 at 2:23:23 pm

At this point it should be out "any day now." The problem is that Sony's Pro sites around the world are far from in sync and the USA site seems to often be weeks behind other sites such as Sony Europe and Sony Canada. Let's hope Ian lets us know as soon as it hits "somewhere" otherwise one of us will stumble across it as Sony seems to be far too quiet about informing us of software updates.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Oct 4, 2010 at 2:47:46 pm

Unfortunately Craig is correct in that the releases could be better coordinated between the Sony sales companies around the world. It's something we're working to improve. Also worth mentioning, however, is that in the states we run all the XD software and documentation through a last round of internal QA before posting (as opposed to just taking a zip file that's been handed to us and posting it).

As soon as we get the production version of the software online I'll post a link.

Cheers,

Ian

Ian Cook
Sony Broadcast and Professional Company

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Oct 4, 2010 at 2:52:34 pm

Good to hear Ian,

Thanks

Return to posts index

Jay Gladwell
on Oct 4, 2010 at 8:16:36 pm

Most excellent news, Ian. Many thanks!

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Oct 4, 2010 at 2:25:38 pm

Hi Jay,

Yes, XDCAM Browser, which should be released this week, will replace XDCAM Transfer, Clip Browser and PDZ-1 (optical XDCAM software). See here for more info:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/142/872926#872951

Cheers,

Ian

Ian Cook
Sony Broadcast and Professional Company

Return to posts index

Jay Gladwell
on Oct 4, 2010 at 2:33:51 pm

Thank you, Craig and Ian!

I will be keeping an eye open for this.

Return to posts index

Dave Johnson
on Oct 4, 2010 at 9:52:53 pm

Ian,

I shoot XD-CamHD (not EX) with PDW-F355L cams and, although we have a PDW-F75, I end up using a PDW-U1 most often to import to Final Cut Pro. Being that my entire workflow is centered around XD-Cam Transfer and I'll now need to replace it with this new XD-Cam Browser software, is there someplace I can get details about the new software before I have to switch?

For example, I'd like to know specifically what the various versions are, what the differences between them are and the cost of each (a simple feature comparison chart would be nice). I'm not familiar with XD-Cam Clip Browser so comparisons to it don't help much.

Lastly, FCP is my primary editor, but I also use Premiere, After Effects, Vegas, etc. on Windows ... can you help me understand why I'd have to buy third-party software like Calibrated Software's XD Decode Windows to access XD-CamHD footage on Windows machines and still would only have decode capability? What if I wanted to bring an XD-CamHD edit onto a Windows box for some additional work and export it back out without transcoding to another codec? Perhaps I've missed part of the whole XD-CamHD rationale or is the format intended to only be used with FCP (and not even with Sony's own Windows-based Vegas)?

By the way, if you have any influence on making the Sony professional website and product documentation as user-friendly as the equipment itself, I would be eternally grateful.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 4, 2010 at 10:55:20 pm

Ian can probably explain in more detail (baring NDA) but the new XDCAM Browser will be a single tool with both Mac and Windows versions. Apparently it can be used instead of the current combination of ClipBrowser and XDCAM Transfer on the Mac for example.

Calibrated Software makes several plugins so it really depends on what your situation is whether you would need them and then which ones.

If you're using XDCAM HD files and your NLE handles MXF than you wouldn't need a plugin.

MXF import allows such files to be used in Quicktime based apps (may need additional decode codecs for Windows).
MP4 Import allows such files to be used in Quicktime based apps.
XD Decode allows one to view and use XDCAM HD and EX MOV wrapped files.

The above warrant more detailed explanation since the particulars may depend on Mac and Windows, your NLE, your playback needs.
http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/

Return to posts index

David Johnson
on Oct 5, 2010 at 11:37:40 am

Thanks Craig. I use XDCAM Transfer every day, but I'm not sure I even know what ClipBrowser is ... I browse and ingest my clips with XD-Cam Transfer so perhaps it's a similar tool for EX cards.

I was referring specifically to Calibrated Software's "XD Decode Windows" to access XD-CamHD footage on Windows machines", which seems the one that does half of what it seems to me a third-party plugin shouldn't be necessary for ... read and write MOV wrapped XD-CamHD files on a Windows machine.

I'm simply looking for a way to work with my native XD-CamHD footage in a cross-platform environment without the extra time, expense, data loss and general hassle of transcoding.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Oct 5, 2010 at 2:19:02 pm

Hi Dave,

You can natively export XDCAM optical MXF files from Vegas & Avid with no additional plugins.

You mention cost-- all of the XDCAM applications are provided free. XDCAM Browser will have a free base module with a chargeable add-on package from Sony and a chargeable Main Concept codec bundle (as with Clip Browser).

The chargeable feature pack will include mostly Optical XDCAM features such as support for Live Logging, EDL creation and planning metadata (XML files with descriptive metadata that can be sent via wi-fi to XD Optical camcorders). EX-applicable add-on features include support for adding GPS info to MP4/MXF files and support for burning BPAVs to Blu Ray DVDs.

We have no illusions about the foreground processing limitation and are aggressively lobbying to get that changed.

While there will be no further development of XDCAM Transfer and the other existing apps you will not have to change over to the Browser right away if you prefer XDCAM Transfer or PDZ-1. (Although PMW-500 users will need it for MXF on SxS support and for formatting SxS cards in UDF mode.)

Ian

Return to posts index

Pat Murray
on Oct 5, 2010 at 3:23:16 am

I cant seam to shut down my clip browser...it just spins and spins the icon that is. Any help?? Using EX3 and Mac book pro

cheers

Return to posts index

Jay Gladwell
on Oct 5, 2010 at 1:24:45 pm

Not ignoring you, Pat. I can't be of any help as I'm a PC person.

Maybe Craig will have an answer for you.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Oct 5, 2010 at 1:39:17 pm

CMD + OPTION + ESCAPE to Force Quit

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]