FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1-R external Mic settings

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Morin
EX1-R external Mic settings
on Sep 30, 2010 at 5:24:23 am

Ok, so It seems simple, but I just need to be sure for a shoot tomorrow morning. I'm going to be using a wireless LAV in a situation and also a boom in another. How exactly do I set my camera up for either. All i can figure is set both the switches in back to EXT right. Or just one? I'l probably only have them set up on channel 1. Is that all I need or does Channel 2 need to be synced? Also depending on the battery or type of mic, choosing the best of three Line, Mic or Mic 48. Can Anyone please give me a short overview. Thanks

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: EX1-R external Mic settings
on Sep 30, 2010 at 6:01:48 am

Basically, if a mic is powered (like with an internal battery) you use the "mic" setting. If it's not powered then set it to "mic 48v". in the case of your wireless rig, it's powered so just set that channel to "mic". Turn your 2 volume controls to the middle, or "5" on the 1 to 10 scale. Go into the audio menu and use the trim settings for each channel until you're getting good signal strength showing on your meters from each of the 2 attached mics. Don't let the peak signal go past minus 12 or sometimes -10 dBu on your meters, otherwise the signal will clip, leaving you with hash instead of clean audio. Leave yourself some headroom on your volume controls to allow lowering or raising the fine tuning of the levels. Hence the setting of "5" as a ballpark starting point.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Andy Morin
on Sep 30, 2010 at 6:12:35 am

Great thanks Don. Also just one more question. Let's say I'm just using the Channel 1 input. What do i do with the channel 2 EXT/INT option on the back, and do I need to change anything on the audio input menu?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Sep 30, 2010 at 6:42:17 am

[Andy Morin] "What do i do with the channel 2 EXT/INT option on the back, and do I need to change anything on the audio input menu?"

No, not a thing. If you have it set to external but there's nothing connected you won't get anything on that channel. You could set it to internal and you'll get the internal mic on that side but the trim you've already set for external won't affect the internal mic.

- Don

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Sep 30, 2010 at 11:08:47 am

Andy, I often use a similar set up and I have a boom mic on channel 1 (set 'external') and the radio mic on channel 2 (also set 'external' but as it's powered set it to 'mic' not 48 mic). You then get two completely separate audio tracks which you can juggle on your timeline selecting exactly what you want. Sometimes I use both at once if I need background FX.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Andy Morin
on Sep 30, 2010 at 12:33:36 pm

Great guys, thank you so much for your help. It seems simple but the audio is just so important.

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Sep 30, 2010 at 1:35:26 pm

What I'll do sometimes if I'm running one mic is to set it to record MIC 1 into both channels, then run one channel's levels on AUTO and set the other manually. This comes from a long-held distrust of automatic gain control.

Cf

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Sep 30, 2010 at 3:52:05 pm

The problem with manual audio settings is that if you are moving while shooting you can't monitor the levels. I always shoot in auto mode and have never once had bad audio. This resulted from shooting in manual mode in school and getting messed up big time because I did not have time to monitor the levels as I moved around a band.

Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Sep 30, 2010 at 8:31:17 pm

Couldn't agree more with Ron's views on auto audio. Working single handed on 'run & gun' there's no way I can monitor audio as well as manually deal with iris and focus, which is preferable to changing audio levels. I set the levels quite high in the menu, knowing my mics I adjust differently for each and never have bad levels. For me wind noise is the big problem, no matter what 'fluffies' I use. I think the hard cylinders are the best.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Sep 30, 2010 at 10:09:14 pm

[Michael Slowe] "For me wind noise is the big problem, no matter what 'fluffies' I use."

Some people refer to those as 'dead cats' except for Craig :) I use one made by K-Tek and it works pretty well. I was in stiff breezes all day Tues. in the mountains and the audio has no rumble.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 30, 2010 at 10:44:50 pm

[Don Greening] "Some people refer to those as 'dead cats' except for Craig :) "

Windjammer, Wind Muff, Softie, Windsock, Kimba just thinks they're big cat toys. I left the windscreen from my BeyerDynamic M88 out and it was just a big "Nerf" toy to him. You have to be careful to hide these things if you have a 'live cat" around the house.

[Don Greening] "I was in stiff breezes all day Tues. in the mountains and the audio has no rumble."

I wonder what one would need to shoot in a tornado. We had one here a couple of weeks ago but it moved too quickly for me to shoot it through the window. Today we're getting gusts to 60mph.

Do you use a Zeppelin at all? It can help if the "fluffy" isn't enough.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Sep 30, 2010 at 11:40:20 pm

[Craig Seeman] "I wonder what one would need to shoot in a tornado. We had one here a couple of weeks ago but it moved too quickly for me to shoot it through the window. Today we're getting gusts to 60mph."

You guys are having the worst weather this year. Don't think I haven't noticed. If it isn't hurricane after hurricane crawling up the coast it's flooding or something.

When the wind is really howling I use this:

http://www.rycote.com/products/s-series_kit/

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks

Return to posts index

tim wells
on Dec 5, 2011 at 3:57:50 pm

How do I get audio on channels 1 and 2 through my external shotgun mic?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]