FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1 to memory stick - best settings?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Olly Lawer
EX1 to memory stick - best settings?
on Sep 28, 2010 at 6:46:21 pm

Hi,

We have produced a video for a client, filmed in a mixture of XDCAM 720p 1080p 25fps.

The client wants the 5 minute video to autoplay on 1GB memory sticks.

What is the best method of compression to achieve this without users having to download additional software?

I am aware that not all users will have QT installed.

End users may be corporate and personal clients on a range of platforms inc PC and Mac

Thanks

Olly Lawer

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: EX1 to memory stick - best settings?
on Sep 28, 2010 at 7:07:12 pm

You could build a self contained Flash Player. Flash is near universal.

An H.264 .mp4 can play in Quicktime (both Mac and Windows) and Windows Media Player 12 (Windows 7 only). It's about as close as you can get as "universal" and maintain good quality.

Not all memory sticks are created equal. Some will have better data rate handling than others so you need to test if you're going to pick one and mass produce.

Computers having varying abilities to decode (playback) files so older CPUs (pre Core2Duo) and GPUs that don't hardware accelerate H.264 may have issues. Don't forget different computers (even new fast ones) have different screen sizes. And BTW what happens to the business people who now carry iPads instead of laptops?

If you're targeting a market that is either interested in media or is "financially enabled" they tend to have newer faster computers. For example, a video providing a public service might entail very different specs than one that's marketing Mercedes Benz.

Return to posts index

Greg Ondera
on Sep 29, 2010 at 10:11:00 am

Just to piggyback on Craig's advice, if you want it seen on an iPad, then a Flash Player is not enough. The Player will likely need to be an HTML5 video player with a fallback to Flash on other devices.

Greg Ondera
http://www.Plexus.tv
http://www.SurgeonToday.org

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Sep 29, 2010 at 5:06:06 pm

In other words, you can't do what you want to do. I have very uneducated end users when it comes to viedo, quicktime, windows or otherwise. They want the file to run and they don't want to have to download anything to make it run. Unfortunately I distribute everything to them by WMV's because it is what their old, non-updated PC's like.

I encode my HD files to 960x540, with a bit rate of 1500. two pass highest quality you can probably get away with with a 1GB stick. They look great (or as well as can be expected). But more importantly they always run.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 29, 2010 at 5:19:01 pm

[Bob Tompkins] "But more importantly they always run."

Except on Mac that don't have Flip4Mac installed. Of course if one wants to blow off the Mac market that's fine. It's all about targeting. Educate your client and at least inform them that they will be losing part of the market and that will limit their ROI.

If one is looking for PAYING customers do they think someone who hasn't bought or updated their computer in more than 4 years is a better ROI than someone who spent a lot of money outfitting a Mac?

We are not in a technology business, we are in a marketing business. Every video sells something even if it's your artistic endeavor to reach a potential audience.

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Sep 30, 2010 at 12:40:42 pm

I would assume that Mac users are more likely to have Flip for Mac because they always have to deal with WMV's and a Mac user is more likely to try and make it work than a PC user is.

Unfortunately Craig most computer users are not as sophisticated as you and I. They only want their computers to do what they need them to do and do not want to have to worry about them. As my boss told me the other day, "make sure it runs on my computer because that is the worst you are going to find".

I am in the information delivery business, not the marketing business.

Return to posts index

Olly Lawer
on Oct 4, 2010 at 7:41:10 pm

Hi,

Thanks for all your replies.

OK, so in terms of creating a H.264 MP4 - how do I do this? I have only ever created H.264 straight from FCP? I see there is a setting in Compressor for MPEG4 under 'Advanced Format Conversions" and "Quicktime 6 compatatble" - is this what you are refering to? I was hoping I would't have to reduce the resolution in anyway and produce it at full quality, but I will reduce to the size you suggest if this works best.

Again, wouldn't have a clue how to convert to HTML5? I guess I would need additional software?

Completely agree that a Mac user will probably try harder to get it to work.

Also, in terms of embedding an autoplay, not sure where I would start with this? Any ideas?

Thanks

Olly Lawer

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]