Corrupt EX1 File?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dale Doebert
Corrupt EX1 File?
on Sep 27, 2010 at 6:39:18 pm

Hello,

I seem to have my first issue with the EX1 and a 32GB SXS Pro Sony Card

The clip seems to think it spans but I know it doesn't or shouldn't.

When I play it back in the camera it says "Media Halt".

When I expand the clip it has black thumbnails from about 7mn to 15ms.

Any suggestions?

Dale Doebert
dale@tiltmedia.com
Video and Event Producer
Tilt Media Inc.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Corrupt EX1 File?
on Sep 27, 2010 at 7:08:58 pm

If you remove the card and put it back it do you get a Restore Media message?
I'm wondering if it's metadata vs corrupted clip itself.
Did you get any warning messages while shooting?
Keep in mind that maximum clip is 4GB so the clips, while not spanning cards, may be multiple clips on a card and there is metadata that makes them appear continuous as well.

Return to posts index

Dale Doebert
on Sep 27, 2010 at 8:15:39 pm

Hi Craig,

I did not get a warning while shooting. It is a lengthy clip...I was shooting a play so it was over an hour long. The clip in the camera shows the correct duration also.

Dale Doebert
dale@tiltmedia.com
Video and Event Producer
Tilt Media Inc.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Sep 27, 2010 at 7:26:01 pm

Hi Dale,

Do Clip Browser 2.6 or XDCAM Transfer 2.12 recognize it as a valid MP4? If you have issues here, try manually importing the MP4s using Clip Browser. To do this highlight the location where you'd like the files to reside (e.g. 'Desktop') in one of the Explorer Windows in Clip Browser and then select File-->Import and browse to the mp4s. (If you refine the search in the Import window to mp4s you should be able to see and import all of them at once.) If it's only the metadata that's been compromised this will rebuild the meta based on what's in the actual .mp4.

Do let us know..

Ian

Return to posts index

Dale Doebert
on Sep 27, 2010 at 8:07:35 pm

It does not recognize it as a file that can be imported.

What's odd is that it is a SIM file and has 7 parts when I examine it further with the camera it will play for a couple minutes and then it stops saying "Media Halt"

Dale Doebert
dale@tiltmedia.com
Video and Event Producer
Tilt Media Inc.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Sep 27, 2010 at 8:24:37 pm

The spanning is normal if it's a long file. The EX cards use the Fat32 file system which has a 4 GB file size limit. Long records are broken into component .mp4s which are linked together by a .smi file.

Make sure that in Clip Browser you are trying to manually import the .mp4s, not the .smi (which resides in the TAKR folder).

One trick which you can try if you edit in Final Cut Pro.... Sony has a plug-in which allows for, among other things, direct editing (i.e. no conversion/re-wrap) of .mp4 files. Download the free trial of the plugin and see if it allows you to drag the mp4s into Final Cut. There are no limitations on the trial version except for the time frame (2 weeks). If it works, transcode the files to ProRes or another format before the trial runs out.

If you hit an absolute brick wall and the files are still on the SxS card contact Sony Media; they may be able to recover them for you. 334 793 7655.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Sep 27, 2010 at 8:30:13 pm

sony plugin: http://www.sony.com/cinemon

Return to posts index

Dale Doebert
on Sep 27, 2010 at 8:25:50 pm

I was able to get parts 2-7 of this clip to import and be converted properly.

I've done a couple dozen shoots with this camera and never had this problem.

I did read somewhere that if you start and stop the recording to quickly you may get a corrupt file? Is that true? I did start rolling and then they did a housekeeping announcement...I stopped the record but then rolled quickly again (almost instantly) cause it sounded like the play was going to start.

This is also evident by the clip before the one I'm having trouble with.

Basically clip 1 plays stops and is a good clip...clip 2 plays for 7mns and then becomes corrupt and stops....it is salvageable after 14mns when I manually imported the remaining "parts" of clip 2.

Seems like the card had issues?

Dale Doebert
dale@tiltmedia.com
Video and Event Producer
Tilt Media Inc.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 28, 2010 at 3:18:33 am

[Dale Doebert] "I did read somewhere that if you start and stop the recording to quickly you may get a corrupt file? Is that true"
That the main cause of of corrupted files.
Normally when you stop, the LEDS keeps red for a few seconds.
You need to make sure that the SxS LEDS are green before starting to record again.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]