FORUMS: list search recent posts

BPAV to ProRes

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Cunningham
BPAV to ProRes
on Sep 27, 2010 at 3:15:42 am

Is there a way to go directly from the BPAV to ProRes.

Much of the time I am using the entire video file, (meeting presentation etc.) and I typically need to use some sort of filter (mostly color correction), so with rendering set to Prores anyway I end up with the whole file taking up the same amount of space (except that it is in the Render folder - FCS3). It would be fine to archive in XDCam (smaller file) but it seems it might improve work-flow to go right to Prores. (that is also if I can maintain time-code from original to Prores)

Any suggestions or insights that you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Jim

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: BPAV to ProRes
on Sep 27, 2010 at 3:35:34 am

Sony Log & Transfer plugin for Final Cut Pro. Imports and converts to Apple ProRes at the same time. Set to type of ProRes you want. First copy BPAV with CRC On to hard drive from ClipBrowser. You'll want to have BPAV as backup.

Return to posts index

Jim Cunningham
on Sep 27, 2010 at 12:41:55 pm

I am using FCS3 and I have been importing SxS was via import Sony XDcam (XDCam Transfer).

When I open Log and Transfer I only get options for P2 & AVCHD. Is there an additional plug in for L&T that I haven't downloaded (and if so could you point me to it), or is there a setting in the XDcam Transfer that I've overlooked?

Thanks for your hand holding in this matter.

Cheers,

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 27, 2010 at 1:33:22 pm

This is Log & Transfer plugin 1.0. There's a version 1.2 that's been out for a while but the USA site is useless for keeping up with current Sony software for EX.
http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-xdcamexsite/resource.downloads.bbsccms-a...

Here's version 1.2 from Sony Canada. Just Accept and download.
http://support.sonybiz.ca/esupport/xDownloadWindow.asp?Cy0KXHJjKR4tdRsCMhJX...

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Sep 27, 2010 at 3:15:56 pm

Actually the Log and Transfer plugin rewraps to mov using the native codecs in FCP. It does not transcode. The HDV L+T plugin will convert to a selectable ProRes codec but there is no prefs menu to change codecs for EX. You'll need to use Compressor, Media Manager or do an SDI ingest directly to ProRes. (See clip 'Test 2' below..)

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 27, 2010 at 3:44:29 pm

Ian is correct. Log & Transfer plugin allows one to use that function with EX codec but it's still just a rewrap to EX .mov. There's no apparent way to force it to do a transcode to ProRes.

Return to posts index

Jim Cunningham
on Sep 27, 2010 at 3:55:46 pm

Pity!

Perhaps in an upcoming version :-)

Thanks for the conformation.

Cheers,

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 27, 2010 at 4:18:02 pm

Although it certainly seems FCP, over time, has been moving towards better support for editing GOP based codecs. I edit XDCAM EX but set renders to ProRes so there's no GOP conform during editing.

Granted if you're in a situation where you have things coming from many sources it would be easier to transcode everything to ProRes. Again I suspect FCP/FCS will be moving for better support of mixed codec time lines though.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Sep 28, 2010 at 9:18:44 pm

I edit in Media 100 and can import EX clips using Sony EX Transfer directly into the ProRes codec but media 100 is rendering at the same time.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]