FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lost Files through XD Cam Transfer!

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neal Barkley
Lost Files through XD Cam Transfer!
on Sep 24, 2010 at 4:49:29 pm

I filmed a job on my Sony EX3 on to MxM 36gb card adapters. I then imported all of the footage through XD cam transfer.

However when i came to the edit one of the files is missing, the main and largest of them which is pretty vital. I did do a random check to see all had imported ok, but did not think it would import all bar one file... I have since read that sometime large files are not imported for some reason.

I have since done another job using the cards so had to clear them but is there anyway at all that i might be able to get that shot back? It is pretty desperate...

When i cleared the cards i used the camera 'all clips delete setting'

Please Please help

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Lost Files through XD Cam Transfer!
on Sep 24, 2010 at 6:45:17 pm

[Paddy Scott] "I filmed a job on my Sony EX3 on to MxM 36gb card adapters. I then imported all of the footage through XD cam transfer."

You should use ClipBrowser with CRC to copy first.

[Paddy Scott] "ut did not think it would import all bar one file"
That can happen if the file spans two (or more) cards and you only have one card loaded. That's why you should use ClipBrowser. Then you can add all the "cards" from the hard drive and into XDCAM xfer and it will piece them back together when wrapping to mov.

[Paddy Scott] "I have since done another job using the cards so had to clear them but is there anyway at all that i might be able to get that shot back? It is pretty desperate...

When i cleared the cards i used the camera 'all clips delete setting'"

You take them from the BPAV copy you made which is your camera masters. You're not saying you erased the camera masters (BPAV) without backing those up first?

Return to posts index

Neal Barkley
on Sep 24, 2010 at 8:51:04 pm

I am yes.... realizing right now how stupid that was...

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 24, 2010 at 9:26:38 pm

I don't erase cards until I have at least two BPAV or one BPAV and one set of MOV.

Often I have one BPAV on optical disc, one on hard drive, one mov on hard drive.

MOV is working copy. BPAV on hard drive is immediate backup, BPAV on optical is longer term backup.

Even if it's inconvenient to make optical backup because you're in a hurry always have at least one BPAV copy in addition to your working files (mov). Then if you find an issue with the mov, you've got BPAV you can recopy.

Return to posts index

Neal Barkley
on Sep 24, 2010 at 9:41:46 pm

yea i think i will have to re think my work flow in future....

Do you think it will be possible to recover the files?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 24, 2010 at 9:58:02 pm

That you used the cards for another job greatly reduces the chance to recover the file. It depends on some variables like how much of the card was used vs the space that file data occupied on the card.

This is the place I'd recommend since they have specific experience with EX file format.
http://www.aeroquartet.com/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]