FORUMS: list search recent posts

SxS Ingest

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Tompkins
SxS Ingest
on Sep 15, 2010 at 2:33:18 pm

I am shooting with 3 EX1r's everyday using eFilm adapters and Transcend 32GB SDHC cards. I am ingesting using an old Verbatim USB universal card reader. I feel like a caveman using this device. Is any one using something different/better that gets faster download times?

I have used the Express 34 slot on my MacBook Pro and know that it is a lot faster but I normally have my external drives hooked to this for eSata access to my BlacX Duet drive holder (which is really cool BTW). With my laptop I have to use USB if I want to save to my externals.

I bought an eSata Sonnet Qio to use with my MacPro and Final Cut Server which is really cool but does not work with a 64-bit system ($800.00 out the window). Is the Sony SxS reader any faster than the Verbatim? It is USB so I can't imagine it is.

Could someone please invent a multiple slot, eSata ingest device that works with a 64 bit system? Please.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: SxS Ingest
on Sep 15, 2010 at 2:40:22 pm

[Bob Tompkins] "I bought an eSata Sonnet Qio to use with my MacPro and Final Cut Server which is really cool but does not work with a 64-bit system ($800.00 out the window). "

Truly? Have you contacted Sonnet?
Personally I'm peeved when companies really don't disclose full compatibility or do thorough compatibility tests. You should fight for your money back if you've confirmed from their tech support that it's not 64 bit compatible. BTW I've heard elsewhere that "promised" driver updates were not delivered for this device.

BTW generally I get twice as fast as real time from a USB SDHC reader using ClipBrowser with CRC On (CRC on cuts the speed approximately in half).

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Sep 15, 2010 at 2:52:55 pm

Thanks for your swift reply.

I have spoken numerous times with a very nice customer support person at Sonnet. He guided me to the place hidden in the product literature where it says not compatible with 64 bit. He has also talked to the engineers for me and there are no plans for 64 bit compatibility. It is a drink holder. I suppose I could use it's multiple slots as dry storage.

I always use CRC to put onto my BU Hard Drive. I am not in enough of a hurry to not do the safest thing. I had my first error with CRC today and re-ingested the whole card to be safe. It worked. But if the interface was faster I assume CRC would be faster also. I would also like to be able to set 3 or 4 cards at the same time and have them batch but that is not happening with this set-up.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Maybe Ian can tell me about the new Sony product they are developing for this purpose. Ian?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 15, 2010 at 3:58:42 pm

[Bob Tompkins] " it says not compatible with 64 bit. He has also talked to the engineers for me and there are no plans for 64 bit compatibility."

That doesn't say much for the longevity of the product given 64 bit Windows 7 and Mac Snow Leopard. There are 32 bit based utilities that will work in 64 bit but clearly this isn't one of them.

Are you looking for something like this?
http://e-films.com.au/shoppingcart/pages/eMCR.html

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Sep 15, 2010 at 4:32:15 pm

He explained to me that Sonnet doesn't initiate driver development but that the application would develop the drivers. I think that makes sense although it is way above my video producer mind.

That eFilms device looks a little kluge but I like it. I think I will get one. I will let you know how it works out. Still USB though.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 15, 2010 at 4:41:58 pm

[Bob Tompkins] "He explained to me that Sonnet doesn't initiate driver development but that the application would develop the drivers. I think that makes sense although it is way above my video producer mind."

Build it and they will come is a major FAIL unless the device is widely used (commodity) and this is not. Why would an application developer write driver for a device that has a very narrow niche?

[Bob Tompkins] "That eFilms device looks a little kluge but I like it. I think I will get one. I will let you know how it works out. Still USB though."

The key advantage to USB is its universality. eSata would limit the number of computers that use it for example. Firewire 800 would be OK but then you have people with older computers with 400 ports. They could have done firewire 400 but then you have to get 400 to 800 cables and there are cheaper laptops without firewire. The idea is they created a device you can use even with an inexpensive laptop in the field.

Return to posts index

Olanrewaju Olakunle
on Sep 15, 2010 at 10:35:32 pm

I think you should give nexto di 7250 a chance. you will not need to drag you laptop with u again.

Spirit

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Sep 16, 2010 at 10:57:35 am

I have three cameras and am getting three more soon. Plus I don't need portability.

Return to posts index

Robert Farnsworth
on Nov 9, 2011 at 7:10:42 pm

The Sonnet Qio is compatible with 64-bit Mac OS X. It is only the Panasonic P2 driver for Macintosh that is not 64-bit compatible. If you are reading only Sony SxS cards, you can ingest with the Qio in 64-bit Mac OS mode. Sonnet plans to start shipping the Windows versions of Qio mid-November, and 64-bit mode is supported in both Windows 7 and Windows Vista.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]