FORUMS: list search recent posts

Set/Select thumb wheel issue

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Meissner
Set/Select thumb wheel issue
on Sep 13, 2010 at 7:15:59 pm

Hi All,
I've started to have a problem with the Set/Select thumb wheel on my EX1 when trying to move up in any of the menu items.

Rolling down the menus is no problem. When trying to move up the menu, often times the highlight will jump back down or just refuse to move up.

Anybody have any experience with this and any suggestions for a remedy would be greatly appreciated.

I just had the unit serviced by Sony back in May. I'd prefer not to have to go that route again if there's a better, faster, cheaper alternative. 2 of the 3 would be nice.

thanks for your comments.

Bill

Sony EX1
Final Cut Studio 2
MacBook Pro
2.4Ghz / 4Gb Ram
Matrox MX02 LE

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: Set/Select thumb wheel issue
on Sep 13, 2010 at 7:25:26 pm

I never liked the wheel but this seems to be a new issue, and other than blowing it out with air I don't know what to tell you

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Daniel Startek
on Sep 13, 2010 at 7:55:00 pm

I never use the thumb wheel. It's not responsive enough and my thumbs are too big. I always use the joy stick on top. Not as easy to access but much easier to use.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Sep 13, 2010 at 8:25:55 pm

Hi Bill,

It sounds like the encoder wheel itself is probably to blame, though you may want to try resetting the camera (from the 'Others' menu). Save your Picture Profiles before doing this (Others-->Camera Data-->Store). It also could not hurt to hit it with some compressed air if you haven't already done so. If it does need to go to Sony and there is nothing else wrong with it either of the Service Centers should be able to turn it around pretty quickly. 866 766 9272.

Cheers and Good Luck...

Ian

Return to posts index

Bill Meissner
on Sep 15, 2010 at 4:41:57 am

Thanks guys for the suggestions.

Bill

Sony EX1
Final Cut Studio 2
MacBook Pro
2.4Ghz / 4Gb Ram